WHY TO DECANT
FOR THE AROMAS TO OPEN
Despite the age of Port Wine, and contrary to what some may think, not all wines need to be decanted.
The Vintage Port wines spend two years in vats before being bottled, without filtering, and with its aging in bottle, the natural wine deposit starts to accumulate at the bottom. This is the reason why the Vintage Port wine must also be decanted, to allow the flavors that have developed over the bottle aging to open up and express them.
Also the Late Bottled Vintage and Crusted unfiltered wines, despite having a longer period of aging in wood, by being bottled without being filtered, even ’forming’ less deposit, must be decanted so that they can be enjoyed at their best.
On the other side, the wines aged in barrels or wooden vats and filtered to remove any deposit prior to bottling, like the Tawny Port wines and full-bodied and fruity wines, do not need to be decanted. Simply open the bottle and help yourself!
- QuickviewDespite the austere weather conditions, the vines were able to benefitiate enough from the existing water in the underground reserves, providing ideal conditions for the ripening of the grapes. The hot and dry weather of August was broken in time for two periods of rain, the 21 August and 1 September, which ended the season of ripening and gave rise to an evenly balanced and mature vintage. The grape-picking began on 10 September in quinta da Roeda in excellent conditions for the harvest. It's been a long fermentation times, allowing a full extraction and uniform, and in Mills the fifth showed exceptional intensity of colour and aroma.$52,35
- QuickviewHarvest Port wines are produced having for basis a selected of wine batches from a single harvest, allowing to pick only the best wines, which are then aged in oak barrels for more than seven years before being bottled. The Krohn Harvest is a young Port with a strong brick colour and delicate aromas of nuts and dried figs.$70,04
- QuickviewDow's Finest Reserve Port comes from a careful selection of the best aged wines that are in perfect ripening stage to create this Finest Reserve. Concentrated and rich, Dow's Finest Reserve Port Wine has great depth features and softness. This Port has a distinctive house style that has been acclaimed worldwide. A refined classic, full-bodied with fruity layers that let us perceive red and black fruit aromas. The fruity character also gives it a deep ruby colour. Palate dominated by berries and spice hints, especially pepper. With a long and slightly dry mouth finish that is a hallmark Dow's wines.$12,25
- QuickviewIntense amber color and light golden reflections, this Kopke Harvest 1987 presents itself as an elegant wine with complex aromas and rich flavors. On the nose you can feel the aroma of ripe cherries, candied fruits such as dried apricots and aromatic wood notes. The palate is rich, soft and elegant, with a perfect, long-lasting finish.$123,75
- QuickviewThe Sandeman 20 Years Tawny is an elegant, complex and intense Port. It has a golden amber color and sophisticated and intense aromas of nuts and spices. In the mouth, it reveals to be a sophisticated Tawny, with a great complexity of flavors, perfectly combined, emphasizing the presence of apricot, honey, nuts, vanilla and caramel. The finish is velvety, elegant and simply irresistible. Keep the Sandeman 20 Years Tawny bottle standing up, at a temperature between 16 ° C and 18 ° C in a cool, dry, dark place.$35,57
- QuickviewNiepoort Vintage 2005 is a balanced Vintage, with great concentration and simultaneously elegant and delicate. Is quite a mineral Port wine with balsamic notes, delicate flavours and elegant tannins. It features fruity and floral aromas providing a long and harmonious aftertaste. Surprise your family and friends during a special dinner and share with them this fantastic Vintage bottle of 1,5Lt.$183,21
- QuickviewQuinta do Vesuvio Vintage 2005 is a Port with a very intense colour like Chinese ink. It is a wine with aromas of violets and wildflowers. On the palate is a full bodied wine, with persistant flavours of blueberries, cassis and dark chocolate notes, +rovidinf a velvety finish. The creation of a 4, 5Lt (6 bottles) eddition, allows the biggest Port lover to have this treasure at home and share it with family and friends.$513,60
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewThe Niepoort LBV is considered one of the most iconic wines from Niepoort. Produced from a magnificent selection of high quality red Port wines. With a dark red color and aroma of cherries along with an elegant floral character, this wine turns out to be quite balanced and fresh, with a firm and robust finish.$45,26
- QuickviewNiepoort 10 Years White is a unique and distinct Port Wine that was created having for basis some batches of Old White Port Wines. It has a classic style and a great aging, due to the fact of grapes maceration being more prolonged.$39,45
- QuickviewThis Croft Vintage Port produced in the year of 2009 will be remembered as a year of low incomes, owing in part to the small amount of fruit, but also to the effects of a very dry ripening season. The ripening season began with a relatively cold weather and so remained until July. However, August turned being a month with intense heat. An early vintage wine with a good and well balance acid.$104,56
- QuickviewThe year 1978 proved to be a year of adverse weather conditions. However, from a small harvest was born a magnificent production of Port wine from the Krohn house, this exquisite Krohn Harvest 1978. With an intense and vibrant color and silky texture, proves to be a wine with complex aromas and flavors.$183,37
- QuickviewTaylor's has invested in new Port Wine styles, like this Taylor s Chip Dry White Port, made from white grapes varieties. Fermentation is longer than usual so it is possible to obtain a dry and crispy finish. This wine ageing is made in oak casks and the wine batches production conclude the characteristics of fresh fruit and nuts. Produced in limited quantities, the bottles are numbered with the wharehouse number information, where the Port wine has aged. A miniature bottle of a 5 cl Port Wine that you will love to collect.$2,21
- QuickviewThis Port is fragrant and possesses wild black fruit aroma and an exotic touch. The aroma burst from the glass: blackberry, blueberry, violets, cassis and morning dew, all with a fantastic setting. It is full-bodied, magnificent and majestic on the mouth, with a better definition and approach than ancient Port wine. Blackberry and blueberry flavours provide a mineral sense that crosses at the finish, with an imperceptible alcohol. This is a good choice for a Vintage Port and to savour pleasurably on several occasions. Aged 24 months in oak casks and then in bottle for several years.$91,17
- QuickviewFermenting with indigenous yeasts at a temperature between 20-25ºc for 3 to 4 days, this Port sees its fermentation interrupted with wine spirits at 77º V / V. Prizes: Producer of the Year in Portugal in 2006 and Producer of the Year in Portugal in 1999.$61,50
- QuickviewCockburn's Quinta dos Canais 2007 Vintage Port that reveals a high concentration of black fruit balanced by firm tannins. A wine of an exceptional year with an intense and opaque ruby colour. With an active fruity aroma, especially black cherry and cassis combined with violet and mint notes.$53,97
- QuickviewDalva Tawny 30 Years rested in wood casks during various years, in which, the age mentioned on the bottle is the average of a ' blend ' of several «Harvest» Port wines. As this wine has aged for many years in wood, it will present a golden colour with greenish shades that will evolve until they reach a very complex fragrance, in which are enhanced the aromas of dried fruits, wood, spices and toasted.$177,65
- QuickviewThe C.N. Kopke is the oldest company in Portugal that is dedicated to the Port Wine production since 1638. Kopke is considered a prestigious brand and reference in the national and international market. The 20 year old Kopke is an amazing Port to enjoy in the company of some dear friends or family.$56,16
- QuickviewSandeman Vintage 2000 is a Port with a deep ruby, almost opaque, color. It reveals intense and fresh aromas of red fruits. It is a full-bodied, well-structured and complex wine, with rich flavors of plums, strawberries and spices, revealing as well soft but firm tannins. Enjoy your Vintage 2000 with chocolate desserts, red fruit tarts and intense cheeses.$113,10
- QuickviewWith a bright golden colour it features an intense and fruity bouquet. In the mouth is sweet, creamy and it is possible to feel hints of hazelnuts. It has a good balance of alcohol, sugar and acidity, which gives the wine its characteristic freshness, providing a long and pleasant finish.
- QuickviewFonseca Quinta do Panascal 1998 Vintage Port has a fruity flavour and is a very fragrant wine. Medium-bodied wine, very well structured and that is ready to be savoured. Book a few bottles in your wine cellar and enjoy its evolution. Bottled in 2001$108,29
- QuickviewThe process of making Vintage Port is a fine-tuned art. Charles selects specific parcels of vines from each of these properties to create a perfect harmony and balance. The proof is in the tasting. Grahams Vintage Magnum 2011 Port is more than the sum of its parts. If youve tasted, we think youll agree.$207,44
- QuickviewFor several years, the Pisca Vine has been the basis of Niepoort Vintage Port wines. Since 2005, Niepoort has taken the opportunity to study its qualities and has found a way to manage the vineyard biologically, thereby producing excellent wines as this Niepoort Vintage Biome 2013 37,5 cl. In this Niepoort stands out its intense purple color and aromas of dark fruits like black plums and blackberries.$49,29
- QuickviewKopke Harvest 2001 is a Port selected from the harvest of the 2001 year, and then aged in oak casks and, finally, bottled. Is a Port with a quite appealing golden colour and with deep and exuberant nutty aromas. With flavours of dried fruits is na irresistible wine that you will want to add to your wine cellar. Do not miss the chance of getting this fantastic Port Wine of 37,5 cl and open it in dinner for two, to end perfectly a meal with your other half.$29,82
- QuickviewDow’s Senhora da Ribeira Vintage 2010 is a Port Wine with origin in Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira, in which were produced only 4200 bottles. It is a wine that was not filtered before bottling and it has a great potential to age more than 30 years, intensifying its aromas and flavours.$88,87
- QuickviewRamos Pinto Quinta da Ervamoira Vintage 2009 is a very expressive and intense Port Wine. Considered a healthy year, with little or no pesticide treatments, it originated this Vintage Port of remarkable harmony and perfect balance, with a bright colour, from deep red to purple reflections. Red fruits are the predominance of this wine, such as raspberry and strawberry, without missing the rock rose notes and cedar balsamics. The ideal maturation degree allowed the constitution of satin and voluptuous tannins.$53,12
- QuickviewNiepoort Vintage 1982 presents itself as a red dark colour Port Wine with aromas of fresh fruit and hints of cedar and rosemary. It can be described as a full bodied wine, with well structured tannins and a balanced acidity.$107,76