PORT WINE TYPES
THE ART OF MATURATION!
The wide variety of styles of Port Wine, with different flavours and aromas, derives from the knowledge in the art of aging. The wines can be divided into two types: the wines aged in wood (wood matured) and the wines aged in bottle (bottle matured). More recently, a new style of port wine, the Rosé, was introduced, which can be considered a wine without aging.
Ruby style is a young wine with a very vivid ruby color, made with red grapes, that matures in wood for a short period of two or three years. It is a wine that retains its original features for a long time and whose flavours bring red fruits to memory.
Tawny style is a golden color wine, obtained from lots of wines with an average age of three years and various racking. It thereby forced oxidation and the golden colour achieved a characteristic of this type of wine. Another difference compared to Ruby Port wine is that Tawny is aged in smaller oak casks, increasing the contact of the wine with wood and with oxygen, making its color similar to amber, and the flavours to dried fruits, almonds or walnuts.
Reserve wines (common to Ruby and Tawny styles) are superior quality wines when compared to the traditional Port wine obtained from wine blending with average ages of five to seven years in wood. Tawny and Reserve wines may have more brownish colours, similar to the older wines. The Ruby Reserve can keep the ruby colour, despite the longer aging in wooden casks.
Wines with an Indication of Age are Tawny Port wines, rich and complex, which remain for very long periods in oak casks. They are extraordinary wines obtained by blending whose average age is the one stated (10 years, 20 years, 30 years, 40 years), thus gaining complexity, and over the years the wines become more clear and liqueur, with characteristics and flavours of honey, cinnamon, chocolate and among others.
Harvest wines are Tawny Port wines that result from a single harvest, in a specific year and from a harvest, which is considered exceptionally good. They are superior quality wines that remain in cask seven or more years, until they are bottled. They have light colours and a rich, elegant and delicate flavour.
White Port Wines are Port wines made from white grape varieties that mature two or three years in wooden casks, and that may have sweeter or drier styles. They are young fruity wines, which always have some sweetness.
All these styles of rich, velvety and uniquely flavoured wines are ready to be enjoyed after being bottled.
Vintage style (considered the preciousness of Port wine) is a wine from a single harvest of a single year of exceptional quality, produced exclusively from selected grapes. These wines can be enjoyed while young, after staying for about two years in wooden cask, but the slow bottle aging allows for a smoother and better quality wine. These wines can stay in the bottle for long periods, and may go beyond 40 years of aging – thus deepening their harmony and floral aromas.
The classification and recognition of a Port wine as Vintage can only be made by the Port Wine Institute (Instituto dos Vinhos do Douro e Porto – IVDP)
Single Quinta Vintage style is a wine of excellent quality, which distinguishes itself by being, simultaneously, from a single exceptional year and a single vineyard, which gives it a uniqueness of character and unique qualities, that characterise the inheritance and tradition of the producer.
The LBV style (Late Bottled Vintage) is a quality wine from a single year of intense red colour, with a capacity of aging in bottle. These wines remain six years in wooden casks before being bottled, and mature at least three years in bottle.
The Crusted wines get their name by the characteristic deposit that forms at the time of bottle aging. They are great quality wines, originating in lots of various vintages, and capable of aging in bottle, after aging for 4 years in wood. They are one of best alternatives to the real Vintage.
WINES WITHOUT AGING
A new style of port wine, the Rosé, is a recent innovation. This smooth wine adds a wide choice of tastes and palates. Its pink colour is defined by a little intense maceration and is free from oxidation events during its storage. It is a young wine, which adds innovation to the supply of Port wines and wish intents to reach a most irreverent public.
- QuickviewNiepoort Bioma is the excellence Vintage Port from Niepoort. The concept "Bioma" comes from the fact of this wine being produced only with grapes from a single vineyard, the Pisca Vineyard. The Niepoort Vintage 2008 Bioma is a Port Wine with an intense and bright colour, a refined aroma of black fruits, notes of pepper and a mineral and earthy character. An exquisite Port Wine bottle of 37,5 cl and enjoy, perfect for you to share with a special someone.$48,01
- QuickviewOne of the most amazing examples of Ferreira is the Ferreira Late Bottled Vintage (LBV). It presents an intense red ruby color and complex aromas, notes of ripe fruits, delicate balsamic nuances and soft notes of resin and tobacco. On the mouth, it is a Port Wine with a great complexity and elegance. It stands out flavors of ripe fruit, some notes of cocoa and firm tannins, a balanced acidity and a long finish. Now you can enjoy this magnificent LBV in a 37.5 cl bottle.$13,09
- QuickviewTaylor's Select Wine features a red ruby colour. On the palate is vigorous and with fragrance of fresh fruits. A Port Wine made from young Port Wine bacthes. They were made in oak barrels, in which they get soften and strengthen. With a fresh and intense character, it presents a long and tempting aftertaste. A combination of Brix chocolate and a Taylor's Reserve in a wooden box, ideal for gifting a Port Wine lover, or just to taste a refined combination of flavours and textures taking to the extreme the refinements to the palate.$44,90
- QuickviewDow's Quinta Sra. Da Ribeira Vintage 2012 is a wine with aroma of violets from the vineyards of Touriga Franca which are oriented to the South and in the year of its production reached a perfect ripeness. In this wine is still possible to find slight aromas of blackberry and currant, making it fragrant and fruity wine.$70,33
- QuickviewFonseca Vintage 1997 Port is a young and elegant Vintage Port with ripe berries aroma; a Fonsecas "Classic that you'll want to savour several times. It is also a great gift for someone very special. Enjoy the good times of life in good company.$280,44
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewQuinta do Vesuvio Vintage 2000 is a Port wine produced in small quantities, and was the first 21st-century Vintage of Quinta do Vesuvio. It is a wine of a rich and opulent dark purple colour, with aromas of violets. On the palate, it is possible to taste mature fruits and the tannins are firm. One of the best wines from Quinta do Vesuvio, now available in an eddition of 4, 5Lt. (6 bottles). Do not miss this amazing opportunity.$680,30
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewThe harvest from which resulted the Croft 2008 Vintage Quinta da Roeda , has benefited from ideal weather circumstances due to warm days combined with cold nights, allowing the perfect ripening of the grapes. With a deep purple colour and powerful fragrances of rockrose, eucalyptus and typical aromas from the Mediterranean slopes, evolving progressively to a smooth aroma of raspberry jam. A dense, sweet and luxurious wine.$172,83
- QuickviewWith a redish and golden color, typical in aged wines, it reveals an aroma of great intensity, complexity and elegance. It stands out notes of ripe fruit, jam, nuts, vanilla and raisins. On the mouth, the Sandeman Tawny 10 Years is equally aromatic, full bodied and velvety, with a persistent and irresistible finish. A sublime and sophisticated Tawny, with an excellent balance between the ripe fruit and the intensity acquired during the aging process in oak wood.$15,61
- QuickviewIn 2016 the third Port wine of this series was launched, the Taylor's Single Harvest 1966. The 1966 Single Harvest features a golden brown color and soft olive green nuances. The aromas are complex, with emphasis on the fragrances of roasted nuts such as walnuts and macadamia nuts, the sweetness of brown sugar, molasses and caramel. In the mouth, it is a silky wine, with delicate notes of honey, figs, apricot jam and light nuances of coffee, perfectly balanced by a slight acidity. The aftertaste is long and harmonious.$570,67
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewPacheca 40 Year Old Tawny is a wine which resulted from a blend of several wines aged in oak casks. Throughout aging, the wine gets a rich and intense amber color. The aromas are elegant and complex, highlighting the aromas of toasted nuts, intense notes of chocolate and buttery caramel, which are perfectly combined with the delicate nuances of fine oak wood.$106,43
- QuickviewThe Krohn Harvest 2003 owns an intense red colour, complex aromas of caramel, nuts, chocolate and pepper. On the palate it is a round and creamy Port but with a well balanced acidity, being also possible to appreciate its youth and depth. Provides a long and deep aftertaste.$41,35
- QuickviewFerreira Tawny is a red wine which resulted by the selection of the best grape varieties in the region, such as Touriga Franca, Touriga Nacional, Tinta Barroca, Tinto Cão, Tinta Roriz and Tinta Amarela. The final result is a Port wine that has a fresh and smooth aroma of spices and light notes of dried fruit, acquired during aging time in oak woods. On the palate, it is an elegant and delicate wine, revealing mature tannins perfectly balanced with the sweetness, providing an irresistible and elegant finish.$7,81
- QuickviewGraham’s Quinta dos Malvedos Vintage Double Magnum 2012 is a special edition of Graham's, being produced few bottles of it. It is an edition where Port Wine quality is considered excellent. Enjoy this special edition of a 3Lt bottle.$398,66
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewOffley LBV or Late Bottled Vintage Port is a reflection of the quality and excellence of the Offley House style. It is a vibrant red ruby color, its aroma is complex and it emphasizes its spicy character of spices, like pepper and clove, balsamic notes of resin, cedar and soft fruity notes, where it stands out aromas of ripe red fruits. On the palate, is a full-bodied wine, structured and with an acidity well balanced acidity with the sweetness of ripe red fruits. The finish is persistent and elegant. Enjoy your simple LBV or pair it with cheeses and delicious chocolate desserts or fresh fruit.$22,21
- QuickviewSandeman Quinta do Seixo Vintage 2013 presents a deep purple color, almost opaque. In the nose, reveals intense aromas, especially of cherry, raspberry, plum and blackberries, some notes of spices like pepper and nutmeg, and a touch of resin and cedar wood. This Sandeman is a structured Port, with firm tannins, a balanced acidity and presents flavors that resemble the presence of red fruits and spices. The ending is long and persistent.$62,69
- QuickviewA Port created in honor of the charismatic Forrester Baron, a legendary person in the history of Port wine and responsible for the projection of Offley as a world renowned brand for the quality of its wines. The Offley Forrester Reserve reveals an intense red-ruby color. On the nose, it stands out an elegant and complex aroma, dominated by scents of ripe red fruits and some balsamic and floral notes. On the palate, it is a full-bodied, ripe and balanced Port with quality tannins, providing a long lasting, harmonious and irresistible finish. Awards and Distinctions: 85 points Wine Enthusiast Magazine; Concours Mondial de Bruxelles 2009 Gold Medal; Gold Medal Vinalies Internationales 2005.$13,23
- QuickviewCroft 2000 Vintage Port This wine benefited from a set of climate conditions: there were perfect ripening conditions with long hot days, followed by a short rainfall that allowed the ripening of the grapes. It possesses an opaque core and a clear ruby rim, with dense aromas, and a good definition, being more austere than usual. It present itself as conservative on the palate with a ruthless finish and orange notes.$294,59
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewThis is a Dow's Nirvana Port with single characteristics in the aroma, in which the predominance of rock rose and violet perfume is easily recognizable. On the other hand, soft tannins and a velvety texture make it peculiar. Dow's Nirvana was produced to blend with chocolate. Dow's winemakers teamed up with the "Flanders Taste Foundation", a Belgian group of experts on food pairing, to get a final blend of Port combining chocolate in the best possible way. This perfect symbiosis between winemakers and the "Flanders Taste Foundation" team also allowed to refine this Ports batch, intensifying it with floral notes and voluptuous tannins. From this union and unique features a Port Wine was created, which combines with most chocolates, especially with dark chocolate in which the cocoa percentage is between 60 to 75%.$18,35
- QuickviewThe creation of a new Vintage Port as this Bioma enabled the return of the Port Wine golden age. Since 2005 that all wines produced by the Pisca Vineyards are analyzed in order to identify the wines of excellence, which are then separated into several batches including the Bioma. The Niepoort Vintage 2009 Bioma is a red colour Port wine with a reddish-purple reflections. It features aromas of dark chocolate and young dark fruits. A burst of aromas n 37.5 cl bottle that you can now enjoy in the company of a good old friend, a dear family member or simply by yourself.$40,23
- QuickviewQuinta do Vesuvio Vintage 2001 is a well structured Port Wine with a very dark ruby colour. The grapes of Touriga Nacional added to this wine, provide it a great concentration, while the grapes of Touriga Franca gave it its unique elegance. Complete your wine cellar with this 4, 5Lt (6 bottles) edition of this Vintage gold medal.$463,66
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewNiepoort Vintage 2005 is a quite balanced Vintage, with a great concentration and at the same time very elagant and delicate. Is a mineral Port with some balsamic notes, delicate flavour and elegant tannins. It features floral and fruity aromas that provide a long finish.$111,36
- QuickviewFrom the sub-region of the Upper Douro, which ranges between 110 and 340 meters above sea level, emerges Ramos Pinto Quinta da Ervamoira Vintage 2007 Port. Considered a Single among the farms Vintages, it is an award-winning wine, holder of a bronze, silver and gold medals. Extraordinarily elegant and complex aroma, under which emanates aromas of eucalyptus, rock rose, red and wild berry ripe fruit, such as strawberries and blackberry, and chocolate aromas, and cedar balsamic notes. Soft tannins give it a satin touch and a haughty persistence.$77,11
Looking for a special Gift?
Personalize this bottle here.A Port Wine that is considered artisanal production, Graham's 10 Years Old Tawny Port is a tribute to the passion for this production method and a tribute to the craftmanship. For lovers of quality and precision in every detail, this wine is a great expressiveness of Tawny Port Wine. Graham's Tawny 10 Years rises from a fascinating selection of reserve wines, aged on average for 10 years. It possesses a reddish-orange colour and complex nutty bouquet, such as walnuts, combined with honey and figs notes. Port wine with a fruity, rich, velvety and mellow flavour that enables a soft, long and perfect finish.
- QuickviewProduced with the grape varieties of Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Cão and Tinta Barroca, this Sandeman Vintage 225 Years - Hat Cape proves to be a complex and full-bodied wine. With an incredible aroma of red and black fruits, some spicy notes of pepper and cinnamon and even a slight presence of mint, make this Port wine an exquisite choice, being distinguished with a Gold Medal on several occasions.$146,76