PORT WINE TYPES
THE ART OF MATURATION!
The wide variety of styles of Port Wine, with different flavours and aromas, derives from the knowledge in the art of aging. The wines can be divided into two types: the wines aged in wood (wood matured) and the wines aged in bottle (bottle matured). More recently, a new style of port wine, the Rosé, was introduced, which can be considered a wine without aging.
Ruby style is a young wine with a very vivid ruby color, made with red grapes, that matures in wood for a short period of two or three years. It is a wine that retains its original features for a long time and whose flavours bring red fruits to memory.
Tawny style is a golden color wine, obtained from lots of wines with an average age of three years and various racking. It thereby forced oxidation and the golden colour achieved a characteristic of this type of wine. Another difference compared to Ruby Port wine is that Tawny is aged in smaller oak casks, increasing the contact of the wine with wood and with oxygen, making its color similar to amber, and the flavours to dried fruits, almonds or walnuts.
Reserve wines (common to Ruby and Tawny styles) are superior quality wines when compared to the traditional Port wine obtained from wine blending with average ages of five to seven years in wood. Tawny and Reserve wines may have more brownish colours, similar to the older wines. The Ruby Reserve can keep the ruby colour, despite the longer aging in wooden casks.
Wines with an Indication of Age are Tawny Port wines, rich and complex, which remain for very long periods in oak casks. They are extraordinary wines obtained by blending whose average age is the one stated (10 years, 20 years, 30 years, 40 years), thus gaining complexity, and over the years the wines become more clear and liqueur, with characteristics and flavours of honey, cinnamon, chocolate and among others.
Harvest wines are Tawny Port wines that result from a single harvest, in a specific year and from a harvest, which is considered exceptionally good. They are superior quality wines that remain in cask seven or more years, until they are bottled. They have light colours and a rich, elegant and delicate flavour.
White Port Wines are Port wines made from white grape varieties that mature two or three years in wooden casks, and that may have sweeter or drier styles. They are young fruity wines, which always have some sweetness.
All these styles of rich, velvety and uniquely flavoured wines are ready to be enjoyed after being bottled.
Vintage style (considered the preciousness of Port wine) is a wine from a single harvest of a single year of exceptional quality, produced exclusively from selected grapes. These wines can be enjoyed while young, after staying for about two years in wooden cask, but the slow bottle aging allows for a smoother and better quality wine. These wines can stay in the bottle for long periods, and may go beyond 40 years of aging – thus deepening their harmony and floral aromas.
The classification and recognition of a Port wine as Vintage can only be made by the Port Wine Institute (Instituto dos Vinhos do Douro e Porto – IVDP)
Single Quinta Vintage style is a wine of excellent quality, which distinguishes itself by being, simultaneously, from a single exceptional year and a single vineyard, which gives it a uniqueness of character and unique qualities, that characterise the inheritance and tradition of the producer.
The LBV style (Late Bottled Vintage) is a quality wine from a single year of intense red colour, with a capacity of aging in bottle. These wines remain six years in wooden casks before being bottled, and mature at least three years in bottle.
The Crusted wines get their name by the characteristic deposit that forms at the time of bottle aging. They are great quality wines, originating in lots of various vintages, and capable of aging in bottle, after aging for 4 years in wood. They are one of best alternatives to the real Vintage.
WINES WITHOUT AGING
A new style of port wine, the Rosé, is a recent innovation. This smooth wine adds a wide choice of tastes and palates. Its pink colour is defined by a little intense maceration and is free from oxidation events during its storage. It is a young wine, which adds innovation to the supply of Port wines and wish intents to reach a most irreverent public.
- QuickviewThis Quinta do Noval Tawny has Aromas: notes of nuts and dried fruit. Taste: mild and soft, elegant and delicate wine Important suggestion: all port wines should be tasted at a temperature of 10ºc. Just so we can enjoy the elegance and sweetness of these wines. When served the temperatures soon realizes the highest port alcohol, which decreases sensibly the pleasure of tasting these wines.15,68€
- QuickviewFonseca Tawny 20 Years. A feature of Tawny wine is that, as they become older, sediments are deposited on the casks and therefore the wine gradually gets a lighter colour. This is how Fonseca Tawny 20 Years Port wine gets a deep amber colour with golden highlights. With ripe and very concentrated fruity aromas and flavours, this Port has caramel notes, cinnamon and slight wood notes. It is intense, complex and powerful with a long and glorious finish.46,46€
- QuickviewNiepoort Dry White Port is a Port with an unusual style because the grapes used to make this wine went through a long maceration with the peel. Their are used several wines aged in oak barrels for about 3 years before being bottled.11,77€
- QuickviewSandeman Vintage 225 Years - Pioneer is a wine of a single year that it will developt an amazing bouquet after some years of aging in the bottle. With a vibrant and intense ruby color, it presents soft notes of spices like cinnamon and pepper, perfectly balanced with some fruity notes, especially of red and black fruits. On the palate reveals itself as a full-bodied, complex and intense Port wine, with balanced tannins and a slight acidity, which provides an harmonious and longlasting finish.128,74€
- QuickviewCroft 2000 Vintage Port This wine benefited from a set of climate conditions: there were perfect ripening conditions with long hot days, followed by a short rainfall that allowed the ripening of the grapes. It possesses an opaque core and a clear ruby rim, with dense aromas, and a good definition, being more austere than usual. It present itself as conservative on the palate with a ruthless finish and orange notes.258,41€
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewA perfectly blended Vintage Port, with a very balanced blackberry aroma. This second, adult Fonsecas wine is ready to be savoured since 2008. Bottled in 200659,80€
- QuickviewOffley Tawny is an elegant wine, with great maturity and freshness, considered a classic among the Tawny's and that reveals the unique style of Offley. It is distinguished by its magnificent red-brown color, a typical tonality of aged wine. This Tawny reveals magnificent fruity aromas, especially notes of ripe red fruits and nuts, resulting in an amazing complexity. On the palate is a velvety, delicate and balanced Port, revealing a good harmony between the soft tannins and its sweetness, providing an elegant and persistent finish.6,64€
- QuickviewBlack colour wine with a live raspberry aroma; this is a Fonsecas very velvety second wine. A good alternative that you will wish to find out for yourself! Bottled in 1997110,00€
- QuickviewTaylor's has invested in new Port Wine styles, like this Taylor s Chip Dry White Port, made from white grapes varieties. Fermentation is longer than usual so it is possible to obtain a dry and crispy finish. This wine ageing is made in oak casks and the wine batches production conclude the characteristics of fresh fruit and nuts. Produced in limited quantities, the bottles are numbered with the wharehouse number information, where the Port wine has aged. A miniature bottle of a 5 cl Port Wine that you will love to collect.1,94€
- QuickviewTaylor's Select Wine features a red ruby colour. On the palate is vigorous and with fragrance of fresh fruits. A Port Wine made from young Port Wine bacthes. They were made in oak barrels, in which they get soften and strengthen. With a fresh and intense character, it presents a long and tempting aftertaste. A combination of Brix chocolate and a Taylor's Reserve in a wooden box, ideal for gifting a Port Wine lover, or just to taste a refined combination of flavours and textures taking to the extreme the refinements to the palate.39,38€
- QuickviewKopke Harvest 2001 is a Port selected from the harvest of the 2001 year, and then aged in oak casks and, finally, bottled. Is a Port with a quite appealing golden colour and with deep and exuberant nutty aromas. With flavours of dried fruits is na irresistible wine that you will want to add to your wine cellar. Do not miss the chance of getting this fantastic Port Wine of 37,5 cl and open it in dinner for two, to end perfectly a meal with your other half.30,09€
- QuickviewCroft Vintage Quinta da Roeda 2004 presents complex aromas in which spices are the star, standing out in particular the notes of clove. Very fruity on the palate, where it is possible to feel sweet flavours such as raisins, fresh raspberries and notes of rock roses and violets. A complex and bold Port Wine with strong tannins.59,10€
- QuickviewThe harvest from which resulted the Croft 2008 Vintage Quinta da Roeda , has benefited from ideal weather circumstances due to warm days combined with cold nights, allowing the perfect ripening of the grapes. With a deep purple colour and powerful fragrances of rockrose, eucalyptus and typical aromas from the Mediterranean slopes, evolving progressively to a smooth aroma of raspberry jam. A dense, sweet and luxurious wine.151,60€
- QuickviewThe white Port wine from Quinta Santa Eufêmia has a prodution process quite similar to the Red Ports. The vinification takes place in traditional stone vats, where the grapes are stepped only using the feet and where fermentation is interrupted by the addition of wine spirits, in order to obtain the desired 19ºC. Quinta Santa Eufêmia 30 Years White presents a golden colour, slightly darker than the 20 years white Port, and with some greenish nuances typical of an old Port. This Wine features dried fruit aromas like almonds, as well as coffee scents and a very well balanced flavours.90,22€
- QuickviewWith a vibrant yellow color, the Offley White is a Port of an intense aroma, where it stands out the floral and fruity aromas, especially apricot and peach jam, dried fruits and light notes of oak wood, acquired during the aging period, giving it its elegant and complex character. On the palate, it is a fresh and young Port, revealing an excellent balance between the acidity and sweetness, providing a firm and elegant finish. A Port that can be enjoyed by itself or to pair with delicious appetizers.6,64€
- QuickviewQuinta do Vesuvio Vintage 2000 is a Port wine produced in small quantities, and was the first 21st-century Vintage of Quinta do Vesuvio. It is a wine of a rich and opulent dark purple colour, with aromas of violets. On the palate, it is possible to taste mature fruits and the tannins are firm. One of the best wines from Quinta do Vesuvio, now available in an eddition of 4, 5Lt. (6 bottles). Do not miss this amazing opportunity.596,76€
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewThe Niepoort 30 Years Tawny is a wine that owns na intense brown colour with greenish reflexions, characteristic from the older Tawny wines. It presents itself as a wine from another era, quite vivid and with slight notes of coffee and liqueur.146,21€
- QuickviewWe have gathered in one exclusive pack 100 years of Port Wine. Now you can experience the complexity and magnificence of 10, 20, 30 and 40 Years Old Tawny’s from some of the most distinguished Port Wine Houses.200,00€
- QuickviewPacheca White Port presents a yellow colour with golden shades. Its aroma is fruity, being possible to feel soft notes of citrus fruits, toasted nuts like walnuts and delicate notes of honey. On the mouth, Pacheca White Port is fresh, elegant and the aftertaste is slightly buttery and slightly delicious.9,80€
- QuickviewQuinta do Noval Vintage 2000 it is incredibly pure and concentrated ruby/purple colour wine, with a good depth. On the palate is intense with very sweet blackberries notes and on the nose you will find aromas of cassis, chocolate, liquorice and spice. It is an elegant, full bodied wine, with a moderate sweetness.193,98€
- QuickviewDark red color, complex aromas of spices, red fruits, chocolate and soft notes of nuts, stands out the Niepoort Garrafeira 1977 among other Port wines.493,45€
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewThe C.N. Kopke is the oldest company in Portugal that is dedicated to the Port Wine production since 1638. Kopke is considered a prestigious brand and reference in the national and international market. The 20 year old Kopke is an amazing Port to enjoy in the company of some dear friends or family.49,26€
- QuickviewThis is an excellent choice as an appetizer. Its rich and fragrant with sweet fruit aroma and honey hints. Let yourself go and try it. Serve it well chilled or as a long drink. Find out how!10,44€
- QuickviewYear Notes about 2007 Wine Year and Harvest: The 2007 year had a rainy winter that replenish underground water reserves, after four hot and dry years. Wet conditions continued in the spring and early summer with low temperatures. In the first two weeks of September there were constant daily temperatures between 35 °C and 38 °C. These hot, dry conditions made the vineyards ripe perfectly, accelerating the sugar and phenolic compounds production while maintaining the excellent natural acidity resulting from a relatively cool summer. As a result, the harvest produced perfectly balanced musts which led to wines with style and elegant, full of vitality and with a concentrated fruity character and superb freshness.62,26€