PORT WINE TYPES
THE ART OF MATURATION!
The wide variety of styles of Port Wine, with different flavours and aromas, derives from the knowledge in the art of aging. The wines can be divided into two types: the wines aged in wood (wood matured) and the wines aged in bottle (bottle matured). More recently, a new style of port wine, the Rosé, was introduced, which can be considered a wine without aging.
Ruby style is a young wine with a very vivid ruby color, made with red grapes, that matures in wood for a short period of two or three years. It is a wine that retains its original features for a long time and whose flavours bring red fruits to memory.
Tawny style is a golden color wine, obtained from lots of wines with an average age of three years and various racking. It thereby forced oxidation and the golden colour achieved a characteristic of this type of wine. Another difference compared to Ruby Port wine is that Tawny is aged in smaller oak casks, increasing the contact of the wine with wood and with oxygen, making its color similar to amber, and the flavours to dried fruits, almonds or walnuts.
Reserve wines (common to Ruby and Tawny styles) are superior quality wines when compared to the traditional Port wine obtained from wine blending with average ages of five to seven years in wood. Tawny and Reserve wines may have more brownish colours, similar to the older wines. The Ruby Reserve can keep the ruby colour, despite the longer aging in wooden casks.
Wines with an Indication of Age are Tawny Port wines, rich and complex, which remain for very long periods in oak casks. They are extraordinary wines obtained by blending whose average age is the one stated (10 years, 20 years, 30 years, 40 years), thus gaining complexity, and over the years the wines become more clear and liqueur, with characteristics and flavours of honey, cinnamon, chocolate and among others.
Harvest wines are Tawny Port wines that result from a single harvest, in a specific year and from a harvest, which is considered exceptionally good. They are superior quality wines that remain in cask seven or more years, until they are bottled. They have light colours and a rich, elegant and delicate flavour.
White Port Wines are Port wines made from white grape varieties that mature two or three years in wooden casks, and that may have sweeter or drier styles. They are young fruity wines, which always have some sweetness.
All these styles of rich, velvety and uniquely flavoured wines are ready to be enjoyed after being bottled.
Vintage style (considered the preciousness of Port wine) is a wine from a single harvest of a single year of exceptional quality, produced exclusively from selected grapes. These wines can be enjoyed while young, after staying for about two years in wooden cask, but the slow bottle aging allows for a smoother and better quality wine. These wines can stay in the bottle for long periods, and may go beyond 40 years of aging – thus deepening their harmony and floral aromas.
The classification and recognition of a Port wine as Vintage can only be made by the Port Wine Institute (Instituto dos Vinhos do Douro e Porto – IVDP)
Single Quinta Vintage style is a wine of excellent quality, which distinguishes itself by being, simultaneously, from a single exceptional year and a single vineyard, which gives it a uniqueness of character and unique qualities, that characterise the inheritance and tradition of the producer.
The LBV style (Late Bottled Vintage) is a quality wine from a single year of intense red colour, with a capacity of aging in bottle. These wines remain six years in wooden casks before being bottled, and mature at least three years in bottle.
The Crusted wines get their name by the characteristic deposit that forms at the time of bottle aging. They are great quality wines, originating in lots of various vintages, and capable of aging in bottle, after aging for 4 years in wood. They are one of best alternatives to the real Vintage.
WINES WITHOUT AGING
A new style of port wine, the Rosé, is a recent innovation. This smooth wine adds a wide choice of tastes and palates. Its pink colour is defined by a little intense maceration and is free from oxidation events during its storage. It is a young wine, which adds innovation to the supply of Port wines and wish intents to reach a most irreverent public.
- QuickviewThe 2008 year began with a drier and colder weather than what it was normal, appearing rains only in March and April. The flowering of the vines took placeduring the rainy and cold period, resulting in lower yields but with more concentrated grape flavours. The harvest began on 20 September in Vargellas and the grapes began by presenting low sugar levels, which have increased as the harvest occured. Taylor's 2008 Vintage Vargellas is a Port with a black ink colour with purple nuances. It shows intense aromas of blackcurrant and wild berries, as well as liquorice hints.75,03€
- QuickviewGraham's 2009 Late Bottled Vintage has a deep almost opaque colour, with an intense dark red rim. On the nose, elegant aromas of red fruit and eucalyptus, combined with freshly picked mint and notes of the distinctive Douro Rockrose (Gum Cistus). On the palate, rich red fruit flavours balanced by taut, peppery tannins. There is a fine backbone of schist minerality and balanced acidity, with a long and satisfying finish. It should be served slightly cool, between 12 and 16° Celsius.1,59€
- QuickviewThe Krohn Harvest 1967 is a Port wine that tends to be with a brown mahogany color as will age in the bottle. One the nose reveals complex aromas of nuts, such as walnuts and hazelnuts, for a perfect and long finish.381,30€
- QuickviewFonseca Quinta do Panascal 2008 Vintage Port is a wine with a wonderful black fruit and plum flavour, with a spice hint. This is a rich wine that you can immediately savour, or later, by saving a few bottles to enjoy at various times in your life or for sheer pleasure. Bottled in 201062,00€
- QuickviewWith a complex and attractive olfactory blending, ranging from orange zest to ripe fig, toasted almonds and pralines, this Vallado 30 Years Tawny Port is a great temptation and suggestion. Amber colour with orange hints with an average acidity. Very intense and true mastery in combining nutty and honeyed notes. Quite persistent finish, with bursting aftertaste on the palate due to the orange jam flavour.62,98€
- QuickviewKopke Harvest 1989 is a Port Wine created exclusively with wines from the 1989 harvest, which was then aged in wood for at least 7 years prior to its bottling. This Port features a tawny amber colour and intense aromas of dried fruits, vanilla and hints of roasted coffee.78,22€
- QuickviewThe Harvest Port Wines have the particularity of being produced only with wine batches from a single harvest, and then aged for at least seven years in wood barrels. Kopke Harvest 1999 is a Port with a dark golden colour, quite attractive and elegant, and fruity aromas of berries.51,00€
- QuickviewAged in oak barrels, Kopke Tawny 30 Years is a wine with an incredible complexity and intensity. It features a smooth brownish-orange color and aromas of vanilla, dried fruit and light spicy notes. On the palate, it’s a really soft and balanced Port wine, providing a long lasting finish.128,14€
- QuickviewKrohn Harvest 1995 is a young Port wine that features a red brick colour, aromas of ripe fruit, dried figs and walnuts. On the palate is elegant and silky providing a burst of flavour due to the good balance of the fruit with spices and dried fruits.54,00€
- QuickviewDalva Harvest 1966 is a wine form a single harvest of a specific year. The peculiarity of this wine is that it has no indication of age as a blended tawny (10, 20, 30, 40,), but instead an indication, it has the year mentioned on the label and, for this reason, an Harvest wine should not be confused with a Vintage. An Harvest wine should age a minimum period of seven years in oak barrels before being bottled.317,34€
- QuickviewUnlike Niepoort The Junior Ruby that was a wine directed to a younger audience, Niepoort The Senior Tawny was created to attract an older crowd. The Senior Tawny is a wine that spends most of its time ageing in oak barrels, allowing a smooth and slight contact with oxygen, which gives origin to a slower oxidation over the years. It is a dark red brick colour wine with rich and full bodied aromas.14,54€
- QuickviewIn years considered exceptional there are selected wine batches with great ageing potential and that come from a single harvest, being then placed to age for at least 7 years prioe to its bottling. The Noval Harvest 1995 is a Port with deep and complex aromas of caramel, nuts, hazelnuts and hints of candied fruit and spices.60,16€
- QuickviewQuinta do Noval Vintage 2014 Port distinguishes itself among the several vintages of the same year for the fruit purity and unique quality. Elegance, balance, harmony and delicacy are unique characteristics of Vintage wines, acquiring only this designation in exceptional years and only with wines that can reach the rigorous and selective standards of Noval. Quinta do Noval Vintage 2014 was distinguished with an impressive score of 17.5 / 20 by the renowned Wine Magazine.145,14€
- QuickviewThe 2009 year was characterised by a low grape production, much in part due to the very dry summer that was felt in that year. The harvest at Quinta de Vargellas began on September 12th and it was verified that the amount of fruit was greatly reduced, leading to a production of concentrated wines, with high sugar levels. Taylor's Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage 2009 is a deep black purple colour Port wine with sublime aromas of ripe fruit like plums, black cherries, cassis and slight notes of rosewood and clove.372,69€
- QuickviewCroft Rosé Port The first Rosé Port created by Croft House, that would be the first in a new Port Wine style and an unquestionable reference: Croft Rosé / Pink. This Port Wine was achieved by a new technique capable of extracting fresh and fruity flavours and providing a subtle pink and delicate colour to the wine. The result is a wonderfully fresh and vibrant, full of fruity rich flavours and, but still unique and distinct.15,99€
- QuickviewDow's Midnight is a young and vigorous Port Wine, which make it fresh and with more mature aromas of red fruits. This wine was thought to attract the younger crowd with its great balance of fruit. This Dow's was produced only through the best wines from Dow's farms, including the Quinta do Bomfim and Senhora da Ribeira.8,00€
- QuickviewTawnys with indication of age are wines that result from the mixture of different wine batches with average ages of 10 years. The long aging in small oak casks provide it its vibrant colour and the amazing complexity of flavours and aromas. Niepoort Tawny 10 Years is a Port wine with a deep golden colour and intense scents of candied fruit and apricots.34,44€
- QuickviewDalva Harvest 1975 is a wine form a single harvest of a specific year. The peculiarity of this wine is that it has no indication of age as a blended tawny (10, 20, 30, 40,), but instead an indication, it has the year mentioned on the label and, for this reason, an Harvest wine should not be confused with a Vintage. An Harvest wine should age a minimum period of seven years in oak barrels before being bottled.164,33€
- QuickviewThis Guimaraens Vintage Port has cherry and ripe raspberry aromas and a touch of spice. A second Fonsecas wine with lots of character. A Guimaraens' hallmark. Immerse yourself. Bottled in 200359,80€
- QuickviewPort Wine Kopke Harvest 2003 White has a brownish amber color. Its delicate aromas of caramel, ripe fruits and light notes of spices like nutmeg, give it sophistication and complexity.66,69€
- QuickviewThe Niepoort Vintage 2003 is a Port that has everything to be one of the best Niepoorts Vintage in decades. An elegant wine, mineral with delicate flavours, a striking elegance and long aftertaste. It is a Vintage that you will not want to miss, and that is perfect to celebrate a special day with friends and share this 1,5 lt bottle.192,13€
- QuickviewCroft 20 Years Old Tawny Port This Port wine belongs to one of the oldest Port Houses, Croft House which it was founded over four centuries ago, in 1588. Croft 20 Years Old Tawny Port was made from a selection of Port wines aged in wood, which matured in winey oak casks. After maturation, these wines are identified with a batch, so that the quality and the style of the House is always guaranteed. This Port possesses a tawny colour and an ocher rim with wood, dried fruit and ripe figgy aromas. Its a pleasant, smooth and mellow wine with a long finish.42,44€
- QuickviewNiepoort Bioma is the excellence Vintage Port from Niepoort. The concept "Bioma" comes from the fact of this wine being produced only with grapes from a single vineyard, the Pisca Vineyard. The Niepoort Vintage 2008 Bioma is a Port Wine with an intense and bright colour, a refined aroma of black fruits, notes of pepper and a mineral and earthy character.72,84€
- QuickviewGraham's Natura Reserve Port is a wine made from organically grown grapes that meets the requirements and follows the organic certification rules. The method and the winemaking process are fully natural, resulting in a full of expressiveness and powerful wine. At Quinta das Lages and Quinta dos Malvedos, where this Port is produced, spring and summer have hot and dry microclimate, ideal for organic viticulture. This is a Port with a deep dark red colour true to Graham's style, pleasantly fresh, floral and elegant. Full-bodied and with very fruity on the palate and chocolate notes. Prolonged and delicate finish.14,15€
- QuickviewThis Quinta do Noval Tawny has Aromas: notes of nuts and dried fruit. Taste: mild and soft, elegant and delicate wine Important suggestion: all port wines should be tasted at a temperature of 10ºc. Just so we can enjoy the elegance and sweetness of these wines. When served the temperatures soon realizes the highest port alcohol, which decreases sensibly the pleasure of tasting these wines.14,38€
- QuickviewThe Fonseca Terra Prima was the first Port Wine produced only with grapes from a organic viticulture. The Fonseca House was one of the pioneers in the organic viticulture, being Quinta do Panascal in the Távora Valley exclusively dedicated to the organic production. Fonseca Terra Prima is a fresh and vibrant wine with the combination of fruity aromas that express the best of organic grapes.19,93€
- QuickviewDark red color, complex aromas of spices, red fruits, chocolate and soft notes of nuts, stands out the Niepoort Garrafeira 1977 among other Port wines.492,00€
- QuickviewGraham's Harvest 1982 was a Special Edition created to celebrate Prince George of Cambridge birth. This Port is an edition even more exclusive when compared to bottles of 75 cl. Enjoy this magnificient Port Wine Graham's in a 4, 5Lt bottle edition.688,80€
- QuickviewTo celebrate Cálem 150º anniversary, this distinguished brand released a special Port Wine: Cálem Special Reserve Very Old. With a deep dark amber color, this wine has a very complex aroma of nuts, like almonds, hazelnuts and figs, exotic wood varieties and spicy hints, without losing its freshness and rich long finish.89,00€
- QuickviewQuinta Santa Eufêmia 20 anos White has a very similar process to the one used in Tawny Port wines, due to the fact of being made in stone lagares where the grapes were stepped by foot The fermentation was interrupted by the addition of wine spirits in order to obtain the intended 19ºC. This Port has aged for about 10 years in wooden barrels before being bottled. A golden colour wine that it does not present great fruity aromas but more complex scents provided for its long aging period in wood. Although it does not present extreme freshness it cannot be considered a heavy Port because when compared with Tawny wines it presents a greater freshness.41,84€
- QuickviewBrownish color with light orange reflections, Kopke Harvest 2005 seduces with its sophisticated aromas of raisins, nuts, dried fruit and light spice notes.On the palate you can feel the complexity of flavors like candied fruit and raisins.40,53€
- QuickviewCroft Vintage Quinta da Roeda 2004 presents complex aromas in which spices are the star, standing out in particular the notes of clove. Very fruity on the palate, where it is possible to feel sweet flavours such as raisins, fresh raspberries and notes of rock roses and violets. A complex and bold Port Wine with strong tannins.59,04€
- QuickviewWith a deep and intense red ruby colour, Pacheca Vintage 2012 presents an amazing intensity of red fruits aromas, perfectly combined with the complexity and elegance of the berries fragrances. On the palate is fresh with an intense flavour of black fruits. This 2012 Vintage is a Port of great structure and volume, with a long and irresistible finish, being possible to feel until the end the amazing flavours of raspberries and blackberries.41,00€
- QuickviewThe Dow's Lagrima is a wine made from white grape varieties from Douro Valley which allowed him to obtain an incredible golden yellow colour In the production process of this wine its fermentation is intentionally controlled so that the wine becomes sweeter then other produced by Dows.9,84€
- QuickviewPacheca Pink is a Port Wine with a vibrant pinkish colour, that is a result from a mixture of several red grapes varieties, that were vinified to extract the freshness of its fruity flavours. It is possible to experience fruity aromas, with special attention to sweet notes of red fruits such as cherries and raspberries. In the mouth, is a fresh and sweet Port, with the presence of delicate cherry, grapefruit and honey notes, perfectly balanced by a slight acidity. This Port Wine is perfect to enjoy with a few ice rocks as an aperitif or as a refreshing cocktail.10,70€
- QuickviewA Port is a wine produced with wine batches selected from a single harvest, and that have a great capacity for ageing. On average, a Harvest must be placed to agek in oak casks for at least seven years before being bottled. The Noval Harvest 1976 is a Port wine with a yellow-brown colour and with delicious citrus aromas. On the palate has quite rich and complex flavours, presenting the typical flavour of an old Port with the freshness and vigour of a younger Port.221,01€
- QuickviewQuinta do Noval Tawny 40 Years is a wine with a dark brown hue with golden edge and green reflections, a Port Wine aged in wood. Concentrated and complex wine that retains the perfect balance. The freshness is considered a very important characteristic in Old Tawny Port Wine.186,96€
- QuickviewAs the name implies, this wine is particularly dry since most of its sugar has been lost in fermentation. A limited number of white grape varieties are used in this Port production, foremost amongst which is Malvasia Fina, which gives this wine its attractive fruity and crisp flavour. Graham's Extra Dry White makes an excellent aperitif when served chilled or as a long drink with tonic water and a slice of lemon.9,23€
- QuickviewTaylor's Vintage 1977 is a youthful wine that you can certainly appreciate right now, but that can benefit from leaving it to age for few more years.It is a wine with floral scents and ripe fruity aromas. Do not fail to make your reservation as soon as possible, ensuring an extraordinary wine to savour in the company of good friends!485,00€
- QuickviewGrahams 20 Year Old is the Master Blenders quest for perfection, capturing the perfect balance between young and aged Port wines. A Port wine perfected for more than twenty year, to delight those in the quest for excellence. Time-honoured skills, craftsmanship and dedication are handed down from generation to generation at Grahams in the form of three unique arts the art of blending, the art of cooperage and the art of ageing to produce an extraordinary selection of Tawny Ports.19,53€
- QuickviewBlack colour wine with a live raspberry aroma; this is a Fonsecas very velvety second wine. A good alternative that you will wish to find out for yourself! Bottled in 1997110,00€
- QuickviewDow's Fine Ruby is a Port Wine created from a wide variety of grapes from Douro Valley. This wine is aged in oak barrels for approximately 3 years and it can be served right after their bottling, which means it is not necessary to age in the bottle.7,01€
- QuickviewVintage Port wines of the Quinta dos Canais are produced from grapes harvested in a single property. The Cockburn's Quinta dos Canais Vintage 2006 is a wine of intense Ruby and opaque colour, with aromas of ripe dark fruits and a touch of dark chocolate. In the mouth is a full-bodied wine and with fruty aromas of berries.46,74€
- QuickviewThis is an excellent choice as an appetizer. Its rich and fragrant with sweet fruit aroma and honey hints. Let yourself go and try it. Serve it well chilled or as a long drink. Find out how!10,15€
- QuickviewA Port created from wine batches selected from a single harvest, with a good aging capacity. After the harvest these wines are aged in wooden casks for a minimum period of seven years. The Quinta do Noval Harvest 1986 has a clear amber colour, aromas of cedar, nuts and spices. On the palate quite fresh and silky, with a long and persistent finish.242,31€
- QuickviewPort is a Portuguese fortified wine that is produced in and around the city of Porto and the Douro valley. Port is typically a sweet red wine that is usually served as an after dinner drink.5,97€
- QuickviewGraham's Fine Tawny Port Wine was born in the best vineyards located in the Upper Douro valley, is a lighter wine than Ruby since the ageing time is longer. On the other hand, it is a slightly softer than Ruby and evolved wine. It offers a nice fruity and dried fruit balance and it is matured in oak barrels for an average of three years, allowing the wine to come into contact with oxygen that freely permeates the barrels wood, thus meaning that the fruity youthful style remains but that it begins to acquire the persistence of an aged Tawny Port. The palate is slightly dry, elegant and velvety. Possesses an aroma of ripe fruit, nicely balanced with dried nuts notes.8,12€
- QuickviewDow’s Senhora da Ribeira Vintage 2010 is a Vintage Port Wine created in Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira. It is a wine that was not filtered before being bottled and has great a potential to age more than 30 years, always improving its aromas and flavours. Enjoy this edition of 4, 5Lt (6 bottles) and complete your wine cellar with this magnificient Port Wine.430,50€
- QuickviewA Port Wine that is considered artisanal production, Graham's 10 Years Old Tawny Port is a tribute to the passion for this production method and a tribute to the craftmanship. For lovers of quality and precision in every detail, this wine is a great expressiveness of Tawny Port Wine. Graham's Tawny 10 Years rises from a fascinating selection of reserve wines, aged on average for 10 years. It possesses a reddish-orange colour and complex nutty bouquet, such as walnuts, combined with honey and figs notes. Port wine with a fruity, rich, velvety and mellow flavour that enables a soft, long and perfect finish.19,43€
- QuickviewQuinta do Vesuvio Vintage 2000 is a Port wine produced in small quantities, and it was the first 21st-century Vintage of Quinta do Vesuvio. Is a rich and opulent wine, with aromas of violets and a dark purple colour. On the palate it is possible to taste ripe fruits and firma tannins. One of the best wines from the Quinta do Vesuvio.127,92€