PORT WINE TYPES
THE ART OF MATURATION!
The wide variety of styles of Port Wine, with different flavours and aromas, derives from the knowledge in the art of aging. The wines can be divided into two types: the wines aged in wood (wood matured) and the wines aged in bottle (bottle matured). More recently, a new style of port wine, the Rosé, was introduced, which can be considered a wine without aging.
Ruby style is a young wine with a very vivid ruby color, made with red grapes, that matures in wood for a short period of two or three years. It is a wine that retains its original features for a long time and whose flavours bring red fruits to memory.
Tawny style is a golden color wine, obtained from lots of wines with an average age of three years and various racking. It thereby forced oxidation and the golden colour achieved a characteristic of this type of wine. Another difference compared to Ruby Port wine is that Tawny is aged in smaller oak casks, increasing the contact of the wine with wood and with oxygen, making its color similar to amber, and the flavours to dried fruits, almonds or walnuts.
Reserve wines (common to Ruby and Tawny styles) are superior quality wines when compared to the traditional Port wine obtained from wine blending with average ages of five to seven years in wood. Tawny and Reserve wines may have more brownish colours, similar to the older wines. The Ruby Reserve can keep the ruby colour, despite the longer aging in wooden casks.
Wines with an Indication of Age are Tawny Port wines, rich and complex, which remain for very long periods in oak casks. They are extraordinary wines obtained by blending whose average age is the one stated (10 years, 20 years, 30 years, 40 years), thus gaining complexity, and over the years the wines become more clear and liqueur, with characteristics and flavours of honey, cinnamon, chocolate and among others.
Harvest wines are Tawny Port wines that result from a single harvest, in a specific year and from a harvest, which is considered exceptionally good. They are superior quality wines that remain in cask seven or more years, until they are bottled. They have light colours and a rich, elegant and delicate flavour.
White Port Wines are Port wines made from white grape varieties that mature two or three years in wooden casks, and that may have sweeter or drier styles. They are young fruity wines, which always have some sweetness.
All these styles of rich, velvety and uniquely flavoured wines are ready to be enjoyed after being bottled.
Vintage style (considered the preciousness of Port wine) is a wine from a single harvest of a single year of exceptional quality, produced exclusively from selected grapes. These wines can be enjoyed while young, after staying for about two years in wooden cask, but the slow bottle aging allows for a smoother and better quality wine. These wines can stay in the bottle for long periods, and may go beyond 40 years of aging – thus deepening their harmony and floral aromas.
The classification and recognition of a Port wine as Vintage can only be made by the Port Wine Institute (Instituto dos Vinhos do Douro e Porto – IVDP)
Single Quinta Vintage style is a wine of excellent quality, which distinguishes itself by being, simultaneously, from a single exceptional year and a single vineyard, which gives it a uniqueness of character and unique qualities, that characterise the inheritance and tradition of the producer.
The LBV style (Late Bottled Vintage) is a quality wine from a single year of intense red colour, with a capacity of aging in bottle. These wines remain six years in wooden casks before being bottled, and mature at least three years in bottle.
The Crusted wines get their name by the characteristic deposit that forms at the time of bottle aging. They are great quality wines, originating in lots of various vintages, and capable of aging in bottle, after aging for 4 years in wood. They are one of best alternatives to the real Vintage.
WINES WITHOUT AGING
A new style of port wine, the Rosé, is a recent innovation. This smooth wine adds a wide choice of tastes and palates. Its pink colour is defined by a little intense maceration and is free from oxidation events during its storage. It is a young wine, which adds innovation to the supply of Port wines and wish intents to reach a most irreverent public.
- QuickviewUm vinho encorpado e com grande complexidade, ótimo para beber a solo mas também para acompanhar queijos e chocolates.$65,72
- QuickviewWarre's Fine White is a wine made from grape varieties of Douro region, a region famous for its Port wines. In order to produce a smoother and elegant Port, the grapes peels were removed during the fermentation process. A light, elegant and tempting Port perfect to be enjoyed fresh as an appetizer.$9,95
- QuickviewThe harvest Port Wines are always a wise choice, as are wines produced from a single harvest and that are aged for about seven years in oak casks before being bottled. Dalva 1982 Harvest is a Port Wine with intense aromas and flavours of fruits, marmalade and spices. With the time this Port will acquire flavours of nuts, cinnamon and coffee.$96,91
- QuickviewFonseca Quinta do Panascal 1996 Vintage Port is a youthful and very attractive wine. It is a rich, velvety wine with chocolate and prune aromas. It is a wine to be immediately savoured but you can also book a few bottles for later. Bottled in 1998$97,07
- QuickviewThe year of 2009 was important because it had all the ingredients to produce a classic Vintage, with power and elegance. With a low density of plantation, ripening and perfect concentration as well as great acidity. Niepoort Vintage 2009 is a Port wine with aromas of fruit, pepper and spices. A Vintage of great power and elegance that can be appreciated in a 3Lt bottle.$386,23
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewKrohn Harvest 1966 Port$422,84
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewThe Niepoort Vintage Bioma 2013 75cl has a deep purple color, accompanied by a purple border. On the palate it stands out the freshness and youth of the fruits, especially plums and blackberries. Its tannins, although granular, give strength and structure to the wine, eventually offering a very nice finish.$75,40
- QuickviewTaylor's Tawny 20 Years Old is a Port with an excellent aroma of dried fruits and notes of orange blossom, exquisitely velvety provided from a careful ageing. Enjoy this fantastic 20 years old Port and get this bottle of 37, 5 cl to enjoy at special moment.$29,89
- QuickviewQuinta do Vesuvio Vintage 2005 is a Port with a very intense colour like Chinese ink. It is a wine with aromas of violets and wildflowers. On the palate is a full bodied wine, with persistant flavours of blueberries, cassis and dark chocolate notes, +rovidinf a velvety finish. The creation of a 4, 5Lt (6 bottles) eddition, allows the biggest Port lover to have this treasure at home and share it with family and friends.$513,60
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewNoval Fine White features a golden yellow colour and strong ripe fruit aromas. On the palate is a sweet and this port is sweet and fine with a balance of acidity and with a mouth quite aromatic, long and persistent.$11,91
- QuickviewQuinta do Vesuvio Vintage 1995 is a Port carefully selected by the winemaker Peter Symington. From a 385 oak barrels production from this farm, this Winemaker has only selected 52 oak barrels to bottle as Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port.$114,77
- QuickviewDalva 10 Years Dry White is a Port Wine that aged in old French casks, giving it the intense and persistent aromas. This Port features elegant flavours of tangerine and soft nuances of dried fruits like almonds. On the palate it is possible to feel characteristical flavours of dried fruit and a wonderful freshness in the aftertaste.$44,44
- QuickviewOffley Rosé is a very distinctive, young and versatile wine, which shows the brands modern side. With a vibrant clear pink color, Offley Rosé has tropical fruit aromas and soft notes of exotic wood. On the mouth it is a very balanced and fresh wine, with a fruity flavor, especially to exotic fruits. The finish is long, elegant and refreshing. A perfect Port wine for enjoying fresh or as a refreshing cocktail with some ice rocks, tonic water and lemon.$7,65
- QuickviewWith a redish and golden color, typical in aged wines, it reveals an aroma of great intensity, complexity and elegance. It stands out notes of ripe fruit, jam, nuts, vanilla and raisins. On the mouth, the Sandeman Tawny 10 Years is equally aromatic, full bodied and velvety, with a persistent and irresistible finish. A sublime and sophisticated Tawny, with an excellent balance between the ripe fruit and the intensity acquired during the aging process in oak wood.$15,61
- QuickviewThe 2009 year was characterised by a low grape production, much in part due to the very dry summer that was felt in that year. The harvest at Quinta de Vargellas began on September 12th and it was verified that the amount of fruit was greatly reduced, leading to a production of concentrated wines, with high sugar levels. Taylor's Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage 2009 is a deep black purple colour Port wine with sublime aromas of ripe fruit like plums, black cherries, cassis and slight notes of rosewood and clove.$424,87
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewNiepoort Vintage 2005 is a quite balanced Vintage, with a great concentration and at the same time very elagant and delicate. Is a mineral Port with some balsamic notes, delicate flavour and elegant tannins. It features floral and fruity aromas that provide a long finish.$111,36
- QuickviewA Tawny Taylor's that combines perfectly aromas of ripe berries and delicate notes of dried fruit. A very soft and silky Wine on the palate. Enjoy it at the end of a meal with a good company. Serve it slightly cool to accentuate the taste and pleasure. A miniature bottle that will not want to miss.$3,09
- QuickviewWith an intense yellow color with delicate golden shades, Ferreira Lágrima is the result of a carefull selection of the most magnificent grapes from the region, such as Malvasia Fina, Moscatel, Códega, Rabigato and Gouveio. It is a Port with intense, complex and rich aromas. On the palate, reveals fruity and exotic flavors, especially delicate floral notes and a touch of honey, providing it an irresistible taste. What makes a Lágrima Port unmistakable is its sweetness. However, in this Ferreira, this wine is perfectly balanced with the alcohol, providing it a distinctive flavor.$10,50
- QuickviewFonseca Ruby Port Wine is a Port with a ruby colour, very fresh and young, with fruit flavours of the plum type. It is also an excellent dessert wine and excellent finish to a meal.$11,89
- QuickviewThis magnificent Port features a vibrant golden amber color as well as a deep bouquet, revealing intense aromas of vanilla, oak and a hint of honey. On the palate is equally complex, standing out flavors of dried fruits, spices and nuts. It is a Port wine that reveals an excellent balance, and that combines perfectly the characteristics developed during the aging in wood and the vivacity of the wine it self. Awards and distinctions: 92/100 - Wine Spectator; 93/100 - Wine Enthusiast$111,34
- QuickviewWith a dark purple color, Niepoort Vintage Bioma 2013 leaves present in taste the magnificent flavor of dark red fruits, especially black plums and blackberries. The firm grainy tannins give structure to the wine, which leads to a grainy finish, but not aggressive.$202,45
- QuickviewPacheca White Port presents a yellow colour with golden shades. Its aroma is fruity, being possible to feel soft notes of citrus fruits, toasted nuts like walnuts and delicate notes of honey. On the mouth, Pacheca White Port is fresh, elegant and the aftertaste is slightly buttery and slightly delicious.$10,52
- QuickviewSandeman Vintage 225 Years - Craft is a complex and intense Port wine that features incredible notes of spices, like pepper and cinnamon, perfectly combined with soft aromas of red and black fruits. On the palate it is possible to feel a slight acidity and firm tannins. The finish is long and irresistible.$146,76
- QuickviewUm vinho com uma cor mais pálida e um estilo mais luminoso o que o torna num vinho com uma complexidade diferente do habitual.$13,16
- QuickviewThis Port is fragrant and possesses wild black fruit aroma and an exotic touch. The aroma burst from the glass: blackberry, blueberry, violets, cassis and morning dew, all with a fantastic setting. It is full-bodied, magnificent and majestic on the mouth, with a better definition and approach than ancient Port wine. Blackberry and blueberry flavours provide a mineral sense that crosses at the finish, with an imperceptible alcohol. This is a good choice for a Vintage Port and to savour pleasurably on several occasions. Aged 24 months in oak casks and then in bottle for several years.$91,17
- QuickviewFonseca Quinta do Panascal 2004 Vintage Port is a very intense and dense wine with concentrated blackberry aromas Full-bodied and medium sweet; it is ready to be enjoyed. Book a few bottles in your wine cellar and enjoy its evolution. Bottled in 2006$79,58
- QuickviewThe Port Sandeman Vau Vintage 1999 is a wine with a deep ruby color. It reveals amazing aromas of fresh and succulent red fruits. In the mouth, it is a full-bodied and complex wine, with rich flavors of plums, strawberries and spices, perfectly combined by a good structure of soft but firm tannins. A Vintage of exceptional quality and modern style, representing Sandeman's unmistakable style. A Vintage that can be enjoyed with chocolate desserts, red fruit tarts, and intense, creamy cheeses.$26,17
- QuickviewThis pack has a White Port Wine, Ruby Port Wine, LBV Port Wine, six grapes Port Wine and 10 year old Tawny. In 5cl Bottles$15,71
- QuickviewQuinta do Vallado Tawny 20 Years is a very rich and aromatic wine, which combines dried fruit with cigar notes. With freshness that characterizes much of the Quinta do Vallado Tawny, unctuous liquorice flavour, with round finish in the mouth. A Silver Medal Wine awarded by the "International Wine Challenge 2004" in May 2004 and by Wine Magazine "in the same month of 2004. Be sure to evaluate this excellent suggestion yourself.$34,93
- QuickviewTaylor's has invested in new Port Wine styles, like this Taylor s Chip Dry White Port, made from white grapes varieties. Fermentation is longer than usual so it is possible to obtain a dry and crispy finish. This wine ageing is made in oak casks and the wine batches production conclude the characteristics of fresh fruit and nuts. Produced in limited quantities, the bottles are numbered with the wharehouse number information, where the Port wine has aged.$14,91
- QuickviewNiepoort Vintage 2003 is a Port Wine that has everything to be one of the best Niepoorts Vintage in decades. An elegant, mineral wine with delicate flavours with na impressing elegance and a long aftertaste.$122,25
- QuickviewKopke Harvest 2004 is a Port Wine of a dark brown colour with reddish shaddes and complex, classic and deep aromas. It features aromas of red fruits, nuts and hints of vanilla and provides a burst of powerful flavours. A fresh Port with soft and smooth tannins and a long and intense aftertaste.$51,88