A HOUSE WITH HISTORY SINCE 1815
The Fonseca House was originated in the early nineteenth century. Its story coincides with the lives of four families who have shaped the fate of the company to the present day. Its founder, João dos Santos Fonseca, in 1820, established a partnership with Francisco José Gomes Monteiro, a member of a known family of merchants, giving rise to the company -Fonseca & Monteiro.
Later, in 1822, the young Pedro Manoel Guimaraens moved to London to establish itself as a wine merchant in London. He played a decisive role in the success of this house. The Guimaraens family, who led the company for more than a century, led it to achieve its reputation as one of the best producers of Vintage Port houses. Finally came the Yeatman family, who run the company with great success since the second half of the twentieth century.
In the last quarter of the twentieth century, Fonseca House invested in the purchase of vineyards and vineyard renovation of the Douro valley, becoming also a pioneer of organic and sustainable viticulture while helping to preserve the unique and natural ecosystem of the Douro valley for future generations.
With this approach, the celebration of its bicentennial, Fonseca and their three farms (Panascal, Cruzeiro and Santo Antonio), that are well-differentiated “terroirs” play a decisive role in shaping the character of their wines, and can be proud of its past while looking to the future with confidence to produce wines with authenticity, character with a story to tell – always prepared by creative producers who respect the environment and nature.
Keeping your identity and tradition, Fonseca House is now part of a consolidated group – The Fladgate Partnership. This is one of the most important and respectable trade groups of port wine quality.
DID YOU KNOW…
The first Vintage Port sold under the name Fonseca was produced in 1840 and marked the beginning of a generating splendid vintages, which have continued to the present day, including the iconic 1868 and the extraordinary 1927, 1948, 1977 and 1994, the latter being four wines 100 points.
Although, for collectors and connoisseurs, Fonseca House can be a synonym for Vintage Port to many wine lovers from around the world, the company is best known as the producer of Bin nº 27 Port Wine, one of the wines of Porto more popular of all time.
The Fonseca Bin No. 27 is a port wine created more than a century ago but is being only marketed since 1972.
- QuickviewFonseca Quinta do Panascal 2004 Vintage Port is a very intense and dense wine with concentrated blackberry aromas Full-bodied and medium sweet; it is ready to be enjoyed. Book a few bottles in your wine cellar and enjoy its evolution. Bottled in 2006$79,58
- QuickviewFonseca Quinta do Panascal 2008 Vintage Port is a wine with a wonderful black fruit and plum flavour, with a spice hint. This is a rich wine that you can immediately savour, or later, by saving a few bottles to enjoy at various times in your life or for sheer pleasure. Bottled in 2010$70,21
- QuickviewFonseca Vintage 1997 Port is a young and elegant Vintage Port with ripe berries aroma; a Fonsecas "Classic that you'll want to savour several times. It is also a great gift for someone very special. Enjoy the good times of life in good company.$280,44
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewThis is an excellent choice as an appetizer. Its rich and fragrant with sweet fruit aroma and honey hints. Let yourself go and try it. Serve it well chilled or as a long drink. Find out how!$11,91
- QuickviewThis Guimaraens Vintage Port has cherry and ripe raspberry aromas and a touch of spice. A second Fonsecas wine with lots of character. A Guimaraens' hallmark. Immerse yourself. Bottled in 2003$68,18
- QuickviewFonseca Tawny 10 Years ripens in oak casks for an average of 10 years. With reddish-brown and crimson reflections, in a silky and smooth composition, where there are many wood notes and strong tannins, creating a mystical bond with fresh acidity. This is a Port with a graceful long finish and fruity notes that remind plums.$23,76
- QuickviewPort rigorously selected by farms and vineyards of the Upper Douro and aged in oak casks. The weather was the perfect ally, since it was moist and cool, allowing the genesis of a rich Old Port batch, produced in small quantities, making it a true essence. It possesses the typical aroma of cask ageing , such as fine wood, spices like clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, liquorice, and the consistency of intoxicating aromas of roasted coffee, hazelnuts, walnuts and fine wood highlights. This Port possesses an olive-ochre colour and persistent spice and wood aftertaste.$239,55
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewPort with a black colour and blackberry, strawberry and wild berries aroma, which is a very tempting second Fonsecas wine. Enjoy now and also book a few bottles in your cellar. This is a good option for happy gathering with friends.$88,81
- QuickviewThe Fonseca Terra Prima was the first Port Wine produced only with grapes from a organic viticulture. The Fonseca House was one of the pioneers in the organic viticulture, being Quinta do Panascal in the Távora Valley exclusively dedicated to the organic production. Fonseca Terra Prima is a fresh and vibrant wine with the combination of fruity aromas that express the best of organic grapes.$22,61
- QuickviewFonseca Quinta do Panascal 1998 Vintage Port has a fruity flavour and is a very fragrant wine. Medium-bodied wine, very well structured and that is ready to be savoured. Book a few bottles in your wine cellar and enjoy its evolution. Bottled in 2001$108,29
- QuickviewThis is a fascinating Vintage Port Fonseca with fruit aroma and coffee and wild herbs notes. Its good wine to offer as a special gift, celebrating a friendship, or to savour with friends and family.$159,59
- QuickviewFonseca Quinta do Panascal 1996 Vintage Port is a youthful and very attractive wine. It is a rich, velvety wine with chocolate and prune aromas. It is a wine to be immediately savoured but you can also book a few bottles for later. Bottled in 1998$97,07
- QuickviewFonseca Vintage 2009 Port Reserve, right now, a Fonseca Vintage Port wine that will be more appreciated if consumed from 2019 to 2039. Do not miss this opportunity to savour a great wine in a few years, celebrating the great moments of your, and of your familys and friends, life.$153,91
- QuickviewThis is a Vintage Port for early consumption, a wine full of blackberry aromas and a floral touch; a second, very intense Fonseca's wine. A good alternative that you will wish to find out for yourself. Bottled in 2000$157,05
- QuickviewFonseca Reserve Bin 27 Fonseca Reserve arises from the consumers demand and experience and from more intransigent Port Wine enthusiasts. A Port wine that is as well known as Fonseca's brand itself. When collectors and Port Wine connoisseurs speak of Fonseca House, they immediately think of Fonseca Bin 27 Reserve. With complex layers of extreme quality fruit, its fruity and opulent character differentiates the Fonseca House, and in particular Bin 27. It is sold worldwide and it reaches the peak of its popularity in the US market. It possesses a deep ruby colour and young and strong, rich and fruity aromas, with special emphasis on tblackberry, cassis, cherry, plum and spices suggestions. This Port is round on the palate, full-bodied, soft and quite balanced in its tannic structure and has a rich finish on the palate with juicy black fruit flavours.$17,60
- QuickviewA perfectly blended Vintage Port, with a very balanced blackberry aroma. This second, adult Fonsecas wine is ready to be savoured since 2008. Bottled in 2006$68,18
- QuickviewFonseca Tawny 20 Years. A feature of Tawny wine is that, as they become older, sediments are deposited on the casks and therefore the wine gradually gets a lighter colour. This is how Fonseca Tawny 20 Years Port wine gets a deep amber colour with golden highlights. With ripe and very concentrated fruity aromas and flavours, this Port has caramel notes, cinnamon and slight wood notes. It is intense, complex and powerful with a long and glorious finish.$52,96
- QuickviewThis is a Fonsecas Vintage Port of great longevity with a harmonious blend of cherry and plum flavours. Enjoy this Port at various times in your life.$210,91
- QuickviewFonseca Guimaraens Vintage 2012 is a wine with a deep ruby colour with amazing purple shades. In terms of aroma is quite deep and with a great intensity of fruit, such as berries, rock rose and wild plants. On the palate this Port wine features flavours of fresh black fruits and well-integrated tannins, providing an amazing aftertaste of raspberries and cassis flavours.$80,92
- QuickviewThis is a rich and elegant Vintage Port with a fresh wild fruit and candy aromsa. A wine that will be more appreciated if consumed from 2018. Book some bottles, right now, and also offer them to someone very special. This is a good wine to enjoy in good company, at a party or in a special anniversary.$258,88
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewA quite soft Vintage Port with a black colour, raspberries and plums aromas, a second, youthful Fonsecas wine that can be more appreciable if drunk until 2020. Order now and find teh Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage 2005, bottled in 2007$67,15
- QuickviewThis is a Port with deep ruby colour with intense blackberry, raisins and chocolate aromas; a lovely wine, ideal for lovers of adult vintage, that you cant miss. Enjoy with relish in good company!$227,86
- QuickviewBlack colour wine with a live raspberry aroma; this is a Fonsecas very velvety second wine. A good alternative that you will wish to find out for yourself! Bottled in 1997$125,40
- QuickviewFonseca Ruby Port Wine is a Port with a ruby colour, very fresh and young, with fruit flavours of the plum type. It is also an excellent dessert wine and excellent finish to a meal.$11,89
- QuickviewFonseca Tawny Port Wine This is a relatively concentrated Port, full-bodied and very fruity; a great dessert wine and a great finish to a meal.$11,89