A BRAND WITH TRADITION
Already in 1868, George A. Warre, whose reputed family was involved in the trade of port, had become a partner of the two founders of Silva & Cosens. And, it was the combination of the leading spirits of these families, which led to the expansion of Dow’s through replanting of vineyards after the devastation caused by phyloxera.
Later, in 1912, George A. Warre major partner in Dow’s decided to return to England and invited Andrew James Symington to manage the Dow’s farm and their cellars in Gaia. The approach to Symington family, came later, in 1961, to become owner of this house he knew and helped preserve the character and tradition of the creative families increasing recognition of the DOW’S mark as one of the most important and respectable producing Port wine houses.
DID YOU KNOW…
James Ramsay Dow in 1856 published an important treatise on the fungus Oidium – a disease that attacks the vines, and at that time was ravaging the vineyards of the Douro?
In 2002, Dow introduced the new port’s ‘Midnight’ to attract new generations of consumers?
Dow owns two of the most beautiful Quintas in the Douro Valley – Bomfim and Quinta da Senhora de Ribeira – of which produces the best wines of Porto Dow’s?
Dow’s Vintage Port 2007, was awarded a perfect score of 100 points from ‘Wine Spectator magazine’ issue of May, 2010. Only 70 wines have been awarded a perfect score by the magazine, which named the port ’The greatest Dow ever made’.
The Vintage Port 2011 was awarded a score of 99 points from ‘Wine Spectator magazine’ in their February issue of 2013.
- Brands, Dow's, Port Wines, Rosé Port Wine, Wine TypesDow's Rosé is a Port wine that features an elegant pink colour. For the production of this wine, before the grapes being crushed there are removed the grape berries and only these are gently crushed in order to keep all the base aromas of the fruit.€10,75€10,75
- 10 Years Port Wine, Brands, Dow's, Port Wines, Wine TypesDow's Tawny Ports are Port Wines recognized by its standard creamy, long and traditionally drier finish. Dow's 10 Year Old Tawny Port has a light brown colour, a candied fruit and caramel fragrance, laced with ripe fruit and nuts, such as walnuts. Dow's Tawny 10 Years Old Port is smooth, mature and well balanced. Award-winning wine with gold and silver medals.€19,35€19,35
- 20 Years Port Wine, Brands, Dow's, Port Wines, Wine TypesDow's 20 Years Old Tawny Port is considered the ideal wine to accompany cigars. The Habano Festival is the largest event related to cigars and takes place annually in the last week of February in Cuba. The Habanos company, responsible for the festival's organization, selected Dow's 20 Years Old Tawny Port as one of the premium products to accompany cigars. Purple and vibrant, softens into a greenish-gold colour after 20 long years of ageing in oak casks. Ripe raisins aroma with caramel and honey notes, based on a balanced, rich and unique palate, showing dried fruit flavour.€32,41€32,41
- Brands, Dow's, Port Wines, White Port Wine, Wine TypesThe Dow's Lagrima is a wine made from white grape varieties from Douro Valley which allowed him to obtain an incredible golden yellow colour In the production process of this wine its fermentation is intentionally controlled so that the wine becomes sweeter then other produced by Dows.€11,25€11,25
- After 2010, Brands, Dated Port Wines, Dow's, Port Wines, Vintage Port Wine, Wine TypesDow's Vintage 2016 features a deep and vibrant color. On the nose, it reveals an incredible aromatic depth, in which it stands out notes of black plum and schist powder with lovely floral notes of rosemary and violets. On the palate is a dense Port, well structured, balanced and with very fine and spicy tannins.€87,29
- Brands, Dow's, Port Wines, Tawny Port Wine, Wine TypesDow's Midnight is a young and vigorous Port Wine, which make it fresh and with more mature aromas of red fruits. This wine was thought to attract the younger crowd with its great balance of fruit. This Dow's was produced only through the best wines from Dow's farms, including the Quinta do Bomfim and Senhora da Ribeira.€9,34€9,34
- Brands, Dated Port Wines, Dow's, From 2000 to 2010, LBV Port Wine, Port Wines, Wine TypesDow's LBV Port comes from two of the best Douro Valley estates: Quinta do Bomfim, with old vineyards in walled slopes and Quinta Senhora da Ribeira, a mountain vineyard in the remote Upper Douro. Its style is classic, very concentrated and filled with spicy notes, dark chocolate notes and intensely fruity, in which black cherries stand out. With Dow's typical hallmark, it presents itself with a slightly dry finish and an opulent aftertaste.€14,69€14,69
- Brands, Dow's, Port Wines, White Port Wine, Wine TypesDow's Fine White is the youngest wine of all Dow's Port Wines aged in oak barrels, aging in these for about 3 years. This type of Port wine is produced through a careful selection of grapes from Douro Valley. During the aging process, this wine is tasted with some frequency, being through this process that is determined when it is ready to be bottled.€9,43€9,43