A BRAND WITH TRADITION
The name of James Ramsey Dow has been known since the mid-nineteenth century, for his contribution to scientific research and publication of an important treatise on powdery mildew. But it was the merge of his company Dow & Co with Silva & Cosens in 1877 that allowed a consolidation and expansion that made the brand become a reference until the present day. The adoption of Dow’s name as the brand name derives from the recognition garnered Dow’s & Co, at the time, as a producer of outstanding Vintage Port house
Already in 1868, George A. Warre, whose reputed family was involved in the trade of port, had become a partner of the two founders of Silva & Cosens. And, it was the combination of the leading spirits of these families, which led to the expansion of Dow’s through replanting of vineyards after the devastation caused by phyloxera.
Later, in 1912, George A. Warre major partner in Dow’s decided to return to England and invited Andrew James Symington to manage the Dow’s farm and their cellars in Gaia. The approach to Symington family, came later, in 1961, to become owner of this house he knew and helped preserve the character and tradition of the creative families increasing recognition of the DOW’S mark as one of the most important and respectable producing Port wine houses.
DID YOU KNOW…
James Ramsay Dow in 1856 published an important treatise on the fungus Oidium – a disease that attacks the vines, and at that time was ravaging the vineyards of the Douro?
In 2002, Dow introduced the new port’s ‘Midnight’ to attract new generations of consumers?
Dow owns two of the most beautiful Quintas in the Douro Valley – Bomfim and Quinta da Senhora de Ribeira – of which produces the best wines of Porto Dow’s?
Dow’s Vintage Port 2007, was awarded a perfect score of 100 points from ‘Wine Spectator magazine’ issue of May, 2010. Only 70 wines have been awarded a perfect score by the magazine, which named the port ’The greatest Dow ever made’.
The Vintage Port 2011 was awarded a score of 99 points from ‘Wine Spectator magazine’ in their February issue of 2013.
- QuickviewThe Symington family, known for producing several much-admired Port wines from several reputable brands, has launched what is considered a magnificent Vintage: Dow's Senhora da Ribeira Vintage 2015. Quinta Senhora da Ribeira is one of the most isolated vineyards in the Douro and, together with Quinta do Bomfim, provides the best grapes that originate the Dow's wine. The finest grape varieties of Touriga Nacional and Franca, as well as small portions of Sousão grapes, resulted in an exceptional opaque purple-black Port wine, with great complexity, refreshing tannins and a balanced acidity.66,54€
- QuickviewDow's Quinta Senhora da Ribeira Vintage 2013 is a full bodied wine. It’s impossible to remain indifferent to the dark fruit notes and the firm tannic structure that provides a drier finish on the palate.The junction of the Douro grape varieties Touriga Nacional and Touriga Franca provides an intense floral aroma of rock rose and violet, while the Sousão variety gives it the necessary acidity and light spicy notes.685,73€
- QuickviewWith a dark and intense purple color and opulent floral notes of violets and roses, Dow's Quinta Senhora da Ribeira Vintage Double Magnum 2013 can surprise any Port wine lover. On the palate has flavors of ripe fruit, with a remarkable balance and a perfect flavor provided by powerful and elegant tannins.342,74€
- QuickviewWith a dark and intense purple color and opulent floral notes of violets and roses, Dow's Quinta Senhora da Ribeira Vintage Double Magnum 2013 can surprise any Port wine lover.On the palate has flavors of ripe fruit, with a remarkable balance and a perfect flavor provided by powerful and elegant tannins.342,74€
- QuickviewThis opaque purple color Vintage captivates any port lover with its intense floral aromas of rock rose and violet from the contribution of caste Touriga Franca and Touriga Nacional Douro. The addition of Sousão variety gives the Dow's Quinta Senhora da Ribeira Vintage 2013 a good acidity and soft notes of spice.The respected magazine specialized in wine, Wine Spectator, assigned 94 points to this Vintage, recognizing their admirable quality.119,31€
- QuickviewDow’s 2011 Vintage is a dense and dark ruby color wine, whose flavor combination of plum, black cherry, violet, lavender and licorice, provide it a perfect and durable finish. Its magnificent quality gave it the award of 2014 Best Wine by the highly respected magazine Wine Spectator that distinguished it has the best among the 18.000 samples evaluated by the tasting team, with an impressive score of 99 points.521,10€
- QuickviewDow’s Quinta Sra. Da Ribeira Vintage 2012 is a wine with violet aromas that come from Touriga Franca vineyards, having reached the perfect ripeness in the year of its production. In this wine is still possible to find complex and seductive aromas of blackberry and currant, making it a fragrant and fruity wine. All these flavours and aromas in a 4,5Lt (6 bottles) Edition that you won't want want to miss.391,32€
- QuickviewDow's Fine White is the youngest wine of all Dow's Port Wines aged in oak barrels, aging in these for about 3 years. This type of Port wine is produced through a careful selection of grapes from Douro Valley. During the aging process, this wine is tasted with some frequency, being through this process that is determined when it is ready to be bottled.7,01€
- QuickviewQuinta Senhora da Ribeira wine cellars are one the most modern of Douro, being combined with the best of traditional winemaking methods, developed during centuries. The dedication and care invested with the cellars transposes to their exclusive bottling, where Vintage Port Wines have a place of distinction. The superb quality and bottling expresses a great exuberance. Dow’s Senhora da Ribeira Vintage 2006 is a full-bodied Port Wine, with strong tannins, although immature.m The flavour of blackberries provide it its intense and deep dark colour. With a mystic perfume, in this wine stands out the notes of tobacco, herbs and spring fresh flowers is now avaiable in a 4, 5Lt (6 bottles) edition to celebrate a special moment.254,73€
- QuickviewDows House 1985 Vintage Port was produced from an excellent harvest, in spite of the high temperatures during harvest time. The effort to keep the fermentation temperature under control was very evident and led to an exceptional Vintage. Powerful, strong and concentrated Port that exhibits good fruit depth and ripe tannins. Purplish-ruby colour and powerful aromas of currant, blackberry and hints of spice. A full-bodied Port Wine with an average sweetness level and slightly chewy finish. Refined and inviting.107,78€
- QuickviewThe Dow's Lagrima is a wine made from white grape varieties from Douro Valley which allowed him to obtain an incredible golden yellow colour In the production process of this wine its fermentation is intentionally controlled so that the wine becomes sweeter then other produced by Dows.9,84€
- QuickviewQuinta da Senhora da Ribeira cellars are the most modern in the Douro, without forgetting to combine the best traditional winemaking traditions, developed through the centuries. The care taken with the cellars is reflected in the Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira exclusive bottling, where Vintage Port has a distinction place. Bottling manifests superb quality and a formidable exuberance. Dow's Senhora da Ribeira 2006 Vintage Port is quite full-bodied with strong, although immature, tannins. With wild berry flavours that grants it the dark, black opaque colour. With a mystical aroma, marked by tobacco notes, herbs and fresh spring flowers.63,96€
- QuickviewDow’s Senhora da Ribeira Vintage 2010 is a Vintage Port Wine created in Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira. It is a wine that was not filtered before being bottled and has great a potential to age more than 30 years, always improving its aromas and flavours. Enjoy this edition of 4, 5Lt (6 bottles) and complete your wine cellar with this magnificient Port Wine.430,50€
- QuickviewDow's 2000 Vintage Port Wine is considered highly robust. Its colour conveys this particularity, a deep violet, so dark that causes blue and black reflections. Plum and cassis aromas, liquorice on the palate, spices and ripe fruit make this wine amazing. Full-bodied, slightly moderate Port, with dark fruit, great depth and structure. Firm tannins with medium finish with a typical, drier and spicy style.94,46€
- QuickviewDow's Midnight is a young and vigorous Port Wine, which make it fresh and with more mature aromas of red fruits. This wine was thought to attract the younger crowd with its great balance of fruit. This Dow's was produced only through the best wines from Dow's farms, including the Quinta do Bomfim and Senhora da Ribeira.8,00€
- QuickviewDow's Extra Dry White is a wine produced with the absence of the grapes peel, however, to help its fermentation it is added natural yeast. At the time the must reaches the desired degree of sugar, the fermentation is interrupted to make the wine extra dry. To give more ""soul"" to this wine is also added some wine spirits after its fermentation.8,61€
- QuickviewDow's Tawny Port Wines are considered the ultimate expression of the oenologists' art. They can take care of wines for many ageing years in oak casks, given the knowledge and experience they possess. Only some Port wines are able to age for 30 years, and only 6 or 7 casks from Dow's cellars in Vila Nova de Gaia are available. In order to be bottled, the remaining casks keep on ageing until they reach the excellence that the wine maker desires. A highly concentrated wine in its aroma, where nuts, such as walnuts, are distinguished. Great complexity flavour with its own style. Fresh and persistent mouth finish, only possessed by these wines since Dow's Old Tawny Ports are particularly good when drunk slightly chilled in hot weather. This Dow's 30 Years Tawny Port has a wonderful balance between wood with dried fruit and raisins' aroma. Award-winning wine with three gold medals.62,73€
- QuickviewDow's Quinta Sra. Da Ribeira Vintage 2012 is a wine with aroma of violets from the vineyards of Touriga Franca which are oriented to the South and in the year of its production reached a perfect ripeness. In this wine is still possible to find slight aromas of blackberry and currant, making it fragrant and fruity wine.61,50€
- QuickviewDow’s Senhora da Ribeira Vintage 2010 is a Port Wine with origin in Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira, in which were produced only 4200 bottles. It is a wine that was not filtered before bottling and it has a great potential to age more than 30 years, intensifying its aromas and flavours.77,49€
- QuickviewThis is a Dow's Nirvana Port with single characteristics in the aroma, in which the predominance of rock rose and violet perfume is easily recognizable. On the other hand, soft tannins and a velvety texture make it peculiar. Dow's Nirvana was produced to blend with chocolate. Dow's winemakers teamed up with the "Flanders Taste Foundation", a Belgian group of experts on food pairing, to get a final blend of Port combining chocolate in the best possible way. This perfect symbiosis between winemakers and the "Flanders Taste Foundation" team also allowed to refine this Ports batch, intensifying it with floral notes and voluptuous tannins. From this union and unique features a Port Wine was created, which combines with most chocolates, especially with dark chocolate in which the cocoa percentage is between 60 to 75%.12,42€
- QuickviewDow's Senhora da Ribeira Vintage Magnum de 1999 is produced from grapes harvested at Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira which is one of the largest vineyards in the Douro, considered one of the best harvests of the century, a prodution from high quality grapes, assigned with a rate of A. Intense aromas of ripe red fruits, notes of violets and roses. This wine is really fruity and the aftertaste is powerful and elegant due to well-integrated tannins. Being a wine of the highest quality you can not miss the opportunity of getting the 1, 5Lt Edition.122,62€
- QuickviewHarvest Port Wines are Tawny wines of a single year, aged in oak barrels for at least 7 years prior its to bottling. Being wines from a single harvest, each year's personality is reflected in the wine itself. Dow's Harvest 1974 is a Port of one of the best 1974 batches, that aged in wood casks in Dow's warehouses at Vila Nova de Gaia.124,64€
- QuickviewDow's Finest Reserve Port comes from a careful selection of the best aged wines that are in perfect ripening stage to create this Finest Reserve. Concentrated and rich, Dow's Finest Reserve Port Wine has great depth features and softness. This Port has a distinctive house style that has been acclaimed worldwide. A refined classic, full-bodied with fruity layers that let us perceive red and black fruit aromas. The fruity character also gives it a deep ruby colour. Palate dominated by berries and spice hints, especially pepper. With a long and slightly dry mouth finish that is a hallmark Dow's wines.10,70€
- QuickviewDow's Senhora da Ribeira 1998 Vintage Port, has all of the Dow's Vintage Classic Port hallmarks. It is absolutely black with a slight ruby rim. It has opulent floral notes of violets and roses and is full of black fruit and cocoa, also consisting of balms that allow you a journey to the countryside, due to the scents of flowers and vegetables. Full-bodied, almost chewy, marks the mouth and denounces its long and lingering finish, with a light peppery touch. Possesses powerful, elegant and fruity tannins that allow you a remarkable balance and an incomparable harmony.61,09€
- QuickviewHarvest Port wines are tawny wines of a single year aged in oak barrels for at least 7 years befor being bottled. Being wines from a single harvest, each year's personality is reflected in the wine itself. Dow's Harvest 2002 is a Port Wine from the best batches of 2002 harvest, that aged in wood casks at Dow's warehouses in Vila Nova de Gaia.24,53€
- QuickviewDow's Tawny combines subtle fruit with delicious velvety nutty flavours derived from the cask ageing. It is ready to drink and enjoy when bottled and does not require further ageing.6,64€
- QuickviewDow's Senhora da Ribeira Vintage Magnum 1998 is a Port Wine that reunites all the characteristics of a classic Vintage Dow's, absolutely black, with a slight ruby edge. In the nose is possible to feel the delicated floral notes of violets and roses, as some hints of black fruit and cocoa. Powerful, elegant and fruity tannins that provide an outstanding balance and magnificient harmony. With a bottle of 1,5Lt it is possible to taste this wine in a special event, like your birthday.122,62€
- QuickviewDow's Vintage Port Wine is only produced in years of exceptional quality and represents a small proportion of the companys total production this year. Dow's 1980 Vintage Port is one of those extraordinary Ports with a remarkable ruby colour, quite strong and rich, with an intense and complex red fruit aromas (such as blackberry and raspberry), spicy notes, especially pepper and magnificent hints of chocolate. A fresh Vintage, quite full-bodied with rounded tannins. In the mouth, it conveys perfectly aromatic sensations extending to a slightly dry and long, prolonged finish.170,31€
- QuickviewDow's Tawny Ports are Port Wines recognized by its standard creamy, long and traditionally drier finish. Dow's 10 Year Old Tawny Port has a light brown colour, a candied fruit and caramel fragrance, laced with ripe fruit and nuts, such as walnuts. Dow's Tawny 10 Years Old Port is smooth, mature and well balanced. Award-winning wine with gold and silver medals.16,92€
- QuickviewDow's Fine Ruby is a Port Wine created from a wide variety of grapes from Douro Valley. This wine is aged in oak barrels for approximately 3 years and it can be served right after their bottling, which means it is not necessary to age in the bottle.7,01€
- QuickviewDow's Vintage 2003 is a Port Wine with a dark and intense colour, light and diverse aromas of rock-rose. It is a wine with strong tannins and rich fruity flavours with hints of dark chocolate and pepper. Dow's Vintage 2003 is a wine with great ageing potential so do not miss the opportunity of adding it to your wine cellar.81,80€
- QuickviewDow's Rosé is a Port wine that features an elegant pink colour. For the production of this wine, before the grapes being crushed there are removed the grape berries and only these are gently crushed in order to keep all the base aromas of the fruit.8,86€
- QuickviewDow's 20 Years Old Tawny Port is considered the ideal wine to accompany cigars. The Habano Festival is the largest event related to cigars and takes place annually in the last week of February in Cuba. The Habanos company, responsible for the festivals organization, selected Dow's 20 Years Old Tawny Port as one of the premium products to accompany cigars. Purple and vibrant, softens into a greenish-gold colour after 20 long years of ageing in oak casks. Ripe raisins aroma with caramel and honey notes, based on a balanced, rich and unique palate, showing dried fruit flavour.32,60€