BACK TO THE ORIGINS
Robert Cockburn joined, between 1808 and 1812, under the orders of the Duke of Wellington’s, the Anglo-Portuguese army who fought the Napoleonic invasion of the Iberian Peninsula. It was during this period that he discovered the Douro region and its extraordinary wines, which later led him to found his own company of Port, Cockburn’s, in 1815.
The focus on innovation and pioneering spirit of Cockburn’s House led the study and development of the grape variety Touriga Nacional allowing the conquest of new territories in the Douro Superior, projecting the brand to a prominent place among the Port houses.
Acquired in 2010 by the Symington family, Cockburn’s House maintains its cultural and prestige in the production of Port wines with quality and excellence, and enjoys the support and knowledge of the Symington family with a history of several generations connected to the Port Wine.
DID YOU KNOW…
The Cockburn’s pioneered the expansion of planting vineyards in the Douro Superior?
In 1969, Cockburn’s created a new style of wine, Reserve that would have a decisive role in the development of trade in port wine?
- QuickviewCockburn's Quinta dos Canais 2007 Vintage Port that reveals a high concentration of black fruit balanced by firm tannins. A wine of an exceptional year with an intense and opaque ruby colour. With an active fruity aroma, especially black cherry and cassis combined with violet and mint notes.44,28€
- QuickviewCockburn's Fine Ruby is a Port Wine made from young and vibrant wines of several years that are aged in wood barrels for two or three years before being bottled. It is a wine that presents aromas of red fruits, being ideal to enjoy at the end of a meal, in a more relaxed atmosphere.9,84€
- QuickviewThe Cockburn's Vintage Port Wines are produced only with the best wines, of years considered exceptional and aged in wooden casks and bottled without any filtering or clarification. The Cockburn's 2007 Vintage is a very intense purple colour Port Wine, with notes of cassis and a dry, elegant finish.75,93€
- QuickviewCockburn's Special Reserve is the first great Port Wine that was launched by Cockburn's in 1969. This wine is aged in oak barrels for longer than normal at the reserve wines, which contributes to the unique identity of this Port.10,46€
- QuickviewVintage Port wines of the Quinta dos Canais are produced from grapes harvested in a single property. The Cockburn's Quinta dos Canais Vintage 2006 is a wine of intense Ruby and opaque colour, with aromas of ripe dark fruits and a touch of dark chocolate. In the mouth is a full-bodied wine and with fruty aromas of berries.46,74€
- QuickviewFruity aroma consisting of plum and fig with syrup fruit, combined with caramel, vanilla and honey. This Cockburn's 10 Years Old Tawny Port leaves no one indifferent. With a dry character and with some minerality, it reflects its good complexity. Elegant and balanced flavour with fine dried fruit notes, mainly hazelnuts and almonds. It presents a velvety finish and a gracious after taste.18,55€
- QuickviewCockburn's Fine White is an elegant Port Wine with a fresh, floral scent. It has a golden colour and is perfect to be served with ice and tonic water in a more relaxed environment.9,84€
- QuickviewTawny Port Wines are young wines of several years, aged between two and three years in wood barrels, giving them aromas of nuts. Cockburn's Fine Tawny is an elegant, velvety Port with spice aromas.9,23€
- QuickviewAmber in colour, and of an extraordinary complexity with layers of dried fruits, nuts and caramel, consumers consider it to recall a whiskey. In its aroma, this Cockburn's 20 Year Old Tawny Port, exactly expresses roasted almonds and dried fruit aromas, with great intensity and persistence. In this Port Wine, the wood ageing characteristics are notorious, as well as ripe fruit, which allowed it to acquire great silk like smoothness. It is sweet and elegant on the palate, medium-bodied, without astringency and dried fruit retro-aroma. Excellent balance.26,79€