THE SECRETS AND KNOWLEDGES!
Port Wine is much more than a fortified wine made from grapes. It is a characteristic wine of a single region in the world, made from grapes derived from native grapes. For always, the work of Men has been adding secrets and knowledge that are passed from generation-to-generation in families, which are rich in history and tradition. It is a wine from ’here’, and is a wine like no other in styles, aromas and flavours that are absolutely irresistible.
THE GRAPE VARIETIES
The hardness of soil and harsh climate, along with harsh winters and scorching summers, cause most varieties to be traditional and native to the region, and therefore, rarely found elsewhere. The best-known red grape varieties are Touriga Nacional, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Amarela, Tinta Cão and Touriga Francesa, in over thirty varieties, which contribute to the longevity of the vines and allow for more sugar and color concentrated grape must.
After the harvests, which take place in late summer, the grapes are transported to the winery where one proceeds to the more or less complete de-stemming, before placing them in the mills to be crushed. The more traditional process known as stomping (or Pigeage), is done by men, in a ritual with a lot of history and tradition. Nowadays, although there are innovative mechanical extraction systems, which coexist with the traditional system, the image of the grape stomping done by men lined up shoulder-to-shoulder stepping the grapes with their feet still has a huge importance – after all, it’s an exciting ritual, full of symbology and with an ancestral identity.
It then takes place the fermentation and maceration process that, because the Port wine is a fortified wine, should be very short (2-3 days). As the fermented wine is transferred to vats, grape brandy is added, which must comply with the rules of the tradition and practices of each house, essential for obtaining a high quality wine. The Port Wine Institute (Instituto do Vinho do Porto) has an important quality assurance role, executing a strict control over the entire process of adding grape brandy (known as the benefit). For such purpose, laboratory analysis and sensory analysis are carried out.
The wine remains so, usually until spring of the following year, before being placed in casks or vats, thus beginning the aging process. This is unique for every styleand takes into account the quality of wine after it is evaluated. The choice of the container in which the wine ages is also crucial for the style of the Port wine that the harvest generates.
- QuickviewThis is a Vintage Port for early consumption, a wine full of blackberry aromas and a floral touch; a second, very intense Fonseca's wine. A good alternative that you will wish to find out for yourself. Bottled in 2000137,76€
- QuickviewThis is the sweetest of all Port wines with around 140 grams of sugar per litre. Predominantly golden colour. Within its characteristic fruit and sweetness, floral aromas of camomile and orange blossom stand out with hints of honey. It has a light, unctuous palate with flavours of ripe fruit surrounded by an intense freshness. A rich, persistent finish with a pleasant touch of honey.9,85€
- QuickviewQuinta do Noval Vintage 2008 Port in another exceptional year. 2008 was a year of low production, which resulted in a more concentrated, structured and extremely aromatic Vintage wines that maintained its own characteristics and Novals high quality standards. Book this gift of nature now and keep this unique wine in your cellar to celebrate a special occasion. Bottled in 2010172,20€
- QuickviewIf you are looking for a one of kind Port Wine, this Kopke Harvest 1965 is perfect for you. Considered 2015 Best Port Wine with a score of 98 points by the highly respected magazine Wine & Spirits, this wine surprises by its aromatic notes of marzipan, honey and roasted nuts it provides a perfect smooth finish. Coffret Kopke Harvest 1965 has a luxurious case and a unique bottle design, perfect for a memorable gift.264,76€
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewThe Port Sandeman Founders is a magnificent ruby and one of Sandeman's reference wines, which is why it has been given a name in honor of its founder. It has a bright and intense ruby red color, rich and fruity aromas, especially ripe red fruits. On the palate, it is an elegant, powerful and fiery Port. Once again, red fruits such as strawberries, raspberries and cherries stands out. A sophisticated and classic Port with an excellent balance between the fruit and fire, characteristics that make this Port unique. Awards and Distinctions: Bronze Medal - Decanter World Wine Awards 2017; Silver Medal - Decanter World Wine Awards 2016.11,99€
- QuickviewOffley Rosé is a very distinctive, young and versatile wine, which shows the brands modern side. With a vibrant clear pink color, Offley Rosé has tropical fruit aromas and soft notes of exotic wood. On the mouth it is a very balanced and fresh wine, with a fruity flavor, especially to exotic fruits. The finish is long, elegant and refreshing. A perfect Port wine for enjoying fresh or as a refreshing cocktail with some ice rocks, tonic water and lemon.6,72€
- QuickviewTaylor's 20 Years Tawny Port Port wine with an excellent dried fruit aroma and orange blossom notes, exquisitely velvety due to ageing care.45,07€
- QuickviewDow's Rosé is a Port wine that features an elegant pink colour. For the production of this wine, before the grapes being crushed there are removed the grape berries and only these are gently crushed in order to keep all the base aromas of the fruit.10,75€
- QuickviewThe Secundum Port style can be described as a accessible Vintage Port that offers immediate satisfaction even though it has great evolutionary capacity. The Niepoort Secundum Vintage 1999 has a rich colour and intense ripe fruit aroma with delicate notes of chocolate and cocoa. Is a full bodied Vntage with firm but refined tannins and aromas of fresh berries and flowers.75,66€
- QuickviewA Port produced from grapes of Vinhas Velhas varieties that is aged for more than seven years in oak barrels. The wood transmits to the wine a unique taste and distinctive. Indicated to serve before a meal, Krohn 1998 Harvest can also be enjoyed with chocolate desserts and creamy cheeses like Serra da Estrela cheese or French cheeses.62,18€
- QuickviewTaylor's Select Wine features a red ruby colour. On the palate is vigorous and with fragrance of fresh fruits. A Port Wine made from young Port Wine bacthes. They were made in oak barrels, in which they get soften and strengthen. With a fresh and intense character, it presents a long and tempting aftertaste. A combination of Brix chocolate and a Taylor's Reserve in a wooden box, ideal for gifting a Port Wine lover, or just to taste a refined combination of flavours and textures taking to the extreme the refinements to the palate.39,38€
- QuickviewUm vinho com uma bonita, mas profunda cor em tons de roxo e vermelho, com aroma de amora negra, perfeito para acompanhar qualquer tipo de queijo ou chocolate.60,26€
- QuickviewOffley Tawny is an elegant wine, with great maturity and freshness, considered a classic among the Tawny's and that reveals the unique style of Offley. It is distinguished by its magnificent red-brown color, a typical tonality of aged wine. This Tawny reveals magnificent fruity aromas, especially notes of ripe red fruits and nuts, resulting in an amazing complexity. On the palate is a velvety, delicate and balanced Port, revealing a good harmony between the soft tannins and its sweetness, providing an elegant and persistent finish.6,64€
- QuickviewNiepoort Secundum Vintage 2000 is another Vintage classic that combines a fantastic concentration with a lovely delicacy. Niepoort Secundum Vintage 2000 is a dar red colour wine and aromas of black fruits and notes of country herbs. A dense wine but, yet fresh, with firm tannins, providing a long and persistent aftertaste.27,87€
- QuickviewWith a vibrant yellow color, the Offley White is a Port of an intense aroma, where it stands out the floral and fruity aromas, especially apricot and peach jam, dried fruits and light notes of oak wood, acquired during the aging period, giving it its elegant and complex character. On the palate, it is a fresh and young Port, revealing an excellent balance between the acidity and sweetness, providing a firm and elegant finish. A Port that can be enjoyed by itself or to pair with delicious appetizers.6,64€
- QuickviewThis magnificent Port features a vibrant golden amber color as well as a deep bouquet, revealing intense aromas of vanilla, oak and a hint of honey. On the palate is equally complex, standing out flavors of dried fruits, spices and nuts. It is a Port wine that reveals an excellent balance, and that combines perfectly the characteristics developed during the aging in wood and the vivacity of the wine it self. Awards and distinctions: 92/100 - Wine Spectator; 93/100 - Wine Enthusiast97,66€
- QuickviewPacheca Porto Tawny 20 years old is a wine resulted of a blend of old cask aged ports matures at Quinta da Pacheca cool and tranquil cellar.Rich and elegant nose with a delicate nuttiness and subtle mellow notes of chocolate, butterscotch and fine oak wood.30,86€
- QuickviewCroft Vintage Quinta da Roeda 2004 presents complex aromas in which spices are the star, standing out in particular the notes of clove. Very fruity on the palate, where it is possible to feel sweet flavours such as raisins, fresh raspberries and notes of rock roses and violets. A complex and bold Port Wine with strong tannins.59,10€
- QuickviewA Port created from wine batches selected from a single harvest, with a good aging capacity. After the harvest these wines are aged in wooden casks for a minimum period of seven years. The Quinta do Noval Harvest 1986 has a clear amber colour, aromas of cedar, nuts and spices. On the palate quite fresh and silky, with a long and persistent finish.242,21€
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewThe Niepoort LBV is considered one of the most iconic wines from Niepoort. Produced from a magnificent selection of high quality red Port wines. With a dark red color and aroma of cherries along with an elegant floral character, this wine turns out to be quite balanced and fresh, with a firm and robust finish.39,70€
- QuickviewAged in oak barrels, Kopke Tawny 30 Years is a wine with an incredible complexity and intensity. It features a smooth brownish-orange color and aromas of vanilla, dried fruit and light spicy notes. On the palate, it’s a really soft and balanced Port wine, providing a long lasting finish.128,78€
- QuickviewQuinta Senhora da Ribeira wine cellars are one the most modern of Douro, being combined with the best of traditional winemaking methods, developed during centuries. The dedication and care invested with the cellars transposes to their exclusive bottling, where Vintage Port Wines have a place of distinction. The superb quality and bottling expresses a great exuberance. Dow’s Senhora da Ribeira Vintage 2006 is a full-bodied Port Wine, with strong tannins, although immature.m The flavour of blackberries provide it its intense and deep dark colour. With a mystic perfume, in this wine stands out the notes of tobacco, herbs and spring fresh flowers is now avaiable in a 4, 5Lt (6 bottles) edition to celebrate a special moment.253,02€
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewNiepoort Vintage 2007 is a Port with a rich and intense colour, black fruit aromas and light green notes revealing a great elegance. On the palate is sweet but with a strong structure, revealing firm and long tannins.105,93€
- QuickviewThe year of 2009 was an important year because it had all the conditions to create an excellent classic Vintage, with power and elegance. With a low density of plantation, ripening, perfect concentration and great acidity, the Niepoort Vintage 2009 is a Port wine with aromas of fruits, pepper and spices. A Vintage of great power and elegance that can be yours in an amazing bottle of 1.5 Lt.151,44€
- QuickviewPacheca 40 Year Old Tawny is a wine which resulted from a blend of several wines aged in oak casks. Throughout aging, the wine gets a rich and intense amber color. The aromas are elegant and complex, highlighting the aromas of toasted nuts, intense notes of chocolate and buttery caramel, which are perfectly combined with the delicate nuances of fine oak wood.93,36€