KNOWING HOW TO SERVE PORT WINE
A RITUAL WITH A HISTORY
Serving a Port Wine in a decanter contains in itself a ritual full of history and tradition, where the ceremony helps to reinforce the pleasure involving these civilized and sophisticated wines. All Port Wines can be served in a decanter, but only Vintage Port , Late Bottled Vintage and Crusted need to be decanted, for being bottled without being filtered.
Present Port Wine in a beautiful decanter, adding the beauty of its color to the aromas that are released, and enjoy the rare moments of pleasure with the Port Wine tasting. For recent wines, let them rest in a decanter for 2-4 hours before drinking them so that the wine reaches its full potential. If it is a very old Vintage or LBV, place it in the decanter just before serving, so it doesn’t lose any of its fragile aromas on contact with air.
THE DECANTER RITUAL
Tradition has it that at serving time, the decanter should be placed on the table to the right of the host, who serves the first guest seated to his right. Then, he serves himself and passes the decanter to the guest at his left and so on in a clockwise direction until it returns to its starting point.
There are several explanations for this tradition, some of which are dated back to the ancient Celts, the people who inhabited the north of Portugal and who believed that turning right would bring bad luck. Another explanation states that the custom arose from the need to keep the sword arm free in case problems arise. Another adds that the British officers in warships swirled the wine from the left, the side of the harbor. But the simplest point to the fact that people are right-handed and therefore, being more practical to pass the decanter from the left. Most importantly, however, is to ensure that all your guests enjoy a glass of Port Wine.
The Port Wine is one of the best wines in the world and it gains a lot if enjoyed in the proper glass so that its color, aromas and flavors can be appreciated. It should be used in a medium size stem and tulip-shaped glass, so it can be gently agitated to release the aromas, showing all its qualities. Hold the glass by the stem, so that your hand does not obstruct the vision or heat the content.
Since December 2001 there is the official chalice of Port Wine, designed by Álvaro de Siza Vieira, which allows you to enjoy the most of your moments of pleasure, enhancing its appearance and its aromas and flavors.
The Port Wine, which is distinguished by its enormous diversity and surprises us for the richness and intensity of aroma, has high alcohol content (19-22% vol.), and should therefore be tasted at appropriate temperatures, which enhance its fruits and scents. You should avoid drinking it hot where the perception of alcohol (which is already high) rises even further, becoming too volatile and difficult to savor.
– White (served fresh): 6 to 7 ºC
– White: 8 a 12 ºC
– Ruby: 12 a 14 ºC
– Tawny: 14 ºC
– Harvest or Tawny 10, 20, 30, 40: 16 ºC
– Vintage or aged LBV: 16 ºC
– Vintage or young LBV: 18 ºC
- QuickviewTaylor's White Port wine is mainly produced using white grapes from Douro Valley. A wine aged in wooden barrels for about three years, achieving its softness character. Considered a traditional, full bodied and smooth Port Wine.$13,10
- QuickviewCockburn's Fine Ruby is a Port Wine made from young and vibrant wines of several years that are aged in wood barrels for two or three years before being bottled. It is a wine that presents aromas of red fruits, being ideal to enjoy at the end of a meal, in a more relaxed atmosphere.$11,22
- QuickviewA Tawny Taylor's that combines perfectly aromas of ripe berries and delicate notes of dried fruit. A very soft and silky Wine on the palate. Enjoy it at the end of a meal with a good company. Serve it slightly cool to accentuate the taste and pleasure. A miniature bottle that will not want to miss.$3,09
- QuickviewThe year of 2007 began with a rainy winter, that has continued during the spring and summer time. In the summer the temperatures were not very high, which occurred in the first weeks of September where temperatures ranged between 35ºC and 38ºC . These weather conditions allowed a perfect maturation of the grapes, allowing the creation of a natural acidity. This harvest gave origin to elegant, stylish and very fruity wines. Taylor's Vintage 2007 is an opaque Port Wine, with a purplish black colour and violet nuances. It features complex black-fruit and blackcurrant aromas with hints of wild herbs, violets and rose petals.$74,53
- QuickviewSandeman Vintage 225 Years - Craft is a complex and intense Port wine that features incredible notes of spices, like pepper and cinnamon, perfectly combined with soft aromas of red and black fruits. On the palate it is possible to feel a slight acidity and firm tannins. The finish is long and irresistible.$146,76
- QuickviewKopke Harvest 2004 is a Port Wine of a dark brown colour with reddish shaddes and complex, classic and deep aromas. It features aromas of red fruits, nuts and hints of vanilla and provides a burst of powerful flavours. A fresh Port with soft and smooth tannins and a long and intense aftertaste.$51,88
- QuickviewOver many years of ageing, the wine takes on its amber tawny colour, slowly developing the complex flavours and the mouth luscious palate. Rich and elegant nose with a delicate nuttiness and subtle mellow notes of chocolate, butterscotch and fine oak wood.$56,92
- QuickviewWith a deep and intense red ruby colour, Pacheca Vintage 2012 presents an amazing intensity of red fruits aromas, perfectly combined with the complexity and elegance of the berries fragrances. On the palate is fresh with an intense flavour of black fruits. This 2012 Vintage is a Port of great structure and volume, with a long and irresistible finish, being possible to feel until the end the amazing flavours of raspberries and blackberries.$46,35
- QuickviewNiepoort Vintage 1982 presents itself as a red dark colour Port Wine with aromas of fresh fruit and hints of cedar and rosemary. It can be described as a full bodied wine, with well structured tannins and a balanced acidity.$107,76
- QuickviewSandeman Vintage 2000 is a Port with a deep ruby, almost opaque, color. It reveals intense and fresh aromas of red fruits. It is a full-bodied, well-structured and complex wine, with rich flavors of plums, strawberries and spices, revealing as well soft but firm tannins. Enjoy your Vintage 2000 with chocolate desserts, red fruit tarts and intense cheeses.$113,10
- QuickviewUm vinho com uma bonita, mas profunda cor em tons de roxo e vermelho, com aroma de amora negra, perfeito para acompanhar qualquer tipo de queijo ou chocolate.$68,70
- QuickviewIf you are looking for a one of a kind Port Wine, this gift set is the right one for you. It includes the exquisite Portal 29 Grapes and the classic Grahama's Six Grapes. A sophisticated pack that reunites 35 grapes into two amazing Port Wines. Discover the elegance, sophistication and intensity of Portal 29 Grapes and Grahama's Six Grapes and surprise someone special with a unique gift set.$58,89
- QuickviewFerreira House releases its latest Vintage, Quinta do Porto Vintage 2015, from the emblematic Quinta do Porto, which was once the home of Dona Antónia Adelaide Ferreira. With a deep red, almost opaque, color, on the nose reveals an intense aroma and great complexity, specially notes of red fruits and chocolate, as result of good maturation. It also reveals delicate notes of balsamic aromas of resin, cedar and tobacco. On the palate, it is a full-bodied Port, with firm but velvety tannins, a perfectly balanced acidity with notes of black fruits and resin. The finish is persistent and elegant.$86,97
- QuickviewA Port created from wine batches selected from a single harvest, with a good aging capacity. After the harvest these wines are aged in wooden casks for a minimum period of seven years. The Quinta do Noval Harvest 1986 has a clear amber colour, aromas of cedar, nuts and spices. On the palate quite fresh and silky, with a long and persistent finish.$276,12
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewKrohn Harvest 1995 is a young Port wine that features a red brick colour, aromas of ripe fruit, dried figs and walnuts. On the palate is elegant and silky providing a burst of flavour due to the good balance of the fruit with spices and dried fruits.$70,12
- QuickviewKopke Harvest 1989 is a Port Wine created exclusively with wines from the 1989 harvest, which was then aged in wood for at least 7 years prior to its bottling. This Port features a tawny amber colour and intense aromas of dried fruits, vanilla and hints of roasted coffee.$89,33