KNOWING HOW TO SERVE PORT WINE
A RITUAL WITH A HISTORY
Serving a Port Wine in a decanter contains in itself a ritual full of history and tradition, where the ceremony helps to reinforce the pleasure involving these civilized and sophisticated wines. All Port Wines can be served in a decanter, but only Vintage Port , Late Bottled Vintage and Crusted need to be decanted, for being bottled without being filtered.
Present Port Wine in a beautiful decanter, adding the beauty of its color to the aromas that are released, and enjoy the rare moments of pleasure with the Port Wine tasting. For recent wines, let them rest in a decanter for 2-4 hours before drinking them so that the wine reaches its full potential. If it is a very old Vintage or LBV, place it in the decanter just before serving, so it doesn’t lose any of its fragile aromas on contact with air.
THE DECANTER RITUAL
Tradition has it that at serving time, the decanter should be placed on the table to the right of the host, who serves the first guest seated to his right. Then, he serves himself and passes the decanter to the guest at his left and so on in a clockwise direction until it returns to its starting point.
There are several explanations for this tradition, some of which are dated back to the ancient Celts, the people who inhabited the north of Portugal and who believed that turning right would bring bad luck. Another explanation states that the custom arose from the need to keep the sword arm free in case problems arise. Another adds that the British officers in warships swirled the wine from the left, the side of the harbor. But the simplest point to the fact that people are right-handed and therefore, being more practical to pass the decanter from the left. Most importantly, however, is to ensure that all your guests enjoy a glass of Port Wine.
The Port Wine is one of the best wines in the world and it gains a lot if enjoyed in the proper glass so that its color, aromas and flavors can be appreciated. It should be used in a medium size stem and tulip-shaped glass, so it can be gently agitated to release the aromas, showing all its qualities. Hold the glass by the stem, so that your hand does not obstruct the vision or heat the content.
Since December 2001 there is the official chalice of Port Wine, designed by Álvaro de Siza Vieira, which allows you to enjoy the most of your moments of pleasure, enhancing its appearance and its aromas and flavors.
The Port Wine, which is distinguished by its enormous diversity and surprises us for the richness and intensity of aroma, has high alcohol content (19-22% vol.), and should therefore be tasted at appropriate temperatures, which enhance its fruits and scents. You should avoid drinking it hot where the perception of alcohol (which is already high) rises even further, becoming too volatile and difficult to savor.
– White (served fresh): 6 to 7 ºC
– White: 8 a 12 ºC
– Ruby: 12 a 14 ºC
– Tawny: 14 ºC
– Harvest or Tawny 10, 20, 30, 40: 16 ºC
– Vintage or aged LBV: 16 ºC
– Vintage or young LBV: 18 ºC
- QuickviewDalva Harvest 1966 is a wine form a single harvest of a specific year. The peculiarity of this wine is that it has no indication of age as a blended tawny (10, 20, 30, 40,), but instead an indication, it has the year mentioned on the label and, for this reason, an Harvest wine should not be confused with a Vintage. An Harvest wine should age a minimum period of seven years in oak barrels before being bottled.317,34€
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewQuinta do Noval Vintage 2000 it is incredibly pure and concentrated ruby/purple colour wine, with a good depth. On the palate is intense with very sweet blackberries notes and on the nose you will find aromas of cassis, chocolate, liquorice and spice. It is an elegant, full bodied wine, with a moderate sweetness.193,98€
- QuickviewFermenting with indigenous yeasts at a temperature between 20-25ºc for 3 to 4 days, this Port sees its fermentation interrupted with wine spirits at 77º V / V. Prizes: Producer of the Year in Portugal in 2006 and Producer of the Year in Portugal in 1999.53,95€
- QuickviewUm vinho com uma bonita cor tijolo, com aroma a maduros frutos vermelhos, caramelo, figo e ameixa combinado com notas picantes e de noz.20,39€
- QuickviewWith vibrant color and brilliant golden nuances, Ferreira Dry White reveals intense aromas of toasted nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts, pine nuts and floral notes. On the mouth, it is a Port with a perfectly balanced acidity, where you can enjoy soft notes of nuts and all the complexity and richness acquired during the aging process in oak wood. An elegant wine, which presents a good balance between sweetness and acidity, providing a fresh and harmonious finish.9,73€
- QuickviewSelected by Sandeman for its unique and magnificent characteristics, Sandeman Vintage 225 Years - Word, is a wine that ages in bottle for a period of 20 to 25 years. Its ruby color reveals all the intensity of its aromatic notes of spices like pepper, cinnamon and also delicate notes of red and black fruits. A complex and full-bodied wine that provides a perfect and long-lasting finish.128,74€
- QuickviewWith a dark and intense purple color and opulent floral notes of violets and roses, Dow's Quinta Senhora da Ribeira Vintage Double Magnum 2013 can surprise any Port wine lover. On the palate has flavors of ripe fruit, with a remarkable balance and a perfect flavor provided by powerful and elegant tannins.342,86€
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewThe year of 2005 was a year in which were produced high quality wines, despite the extremely dry weather during the grapes prodution. Ramos Pinto Quinta de Ervamoira Vintage is a Port wine of intense opaque colour and violet shades. It is a Port with a stylish, powerful and intense aroma of the ripe fruits like blackcurrant, plum and blackberry as well as some notes of cedar, resin, rockrose and chocolate.52,59€
- QuickviewThe Cockburn's Vintage Port Wines are produced only with the best wines, of years considered exceptional and aged in wooden casks and bottled without any filtering or clarification. The Cockburn's 2007 Vintage is a very intense purple colour Port Wine, with notes of cassis and a dry, elegant finish.76,15€
- QuickviewDalva 20 Years Dry White is a pioneer 20 year Port due to the fact that it has a lower sugar content when compared with others of the same age. This Port features a bright amber colour with deep and complex aromas and citrus fruits, honey and almonds. On the palate this Port is quite firm, elegant, being possible to feel notes of orange and spices in the aftertaste.55,01€
- QuickviewNiepoort Vintage 2003 is a Port Wine that has everything to be one of the best Niepoorts Vintage in decades. An elegant, mineral wine with delicate flavours with na impressing elegance and a long aftertaste.107,23€
- QuickviewThe Ferreira Duque de Bragança Tawny 20 Years, is a Port with a vibrant reddish color, with some copper nuances. It reveals an intense aroma. During the time of aging, it acquired delicate aromatic notes of nuts, spices, ripe fruits and jam. On the palate, it is a full-bodied wine, delicate, soft and with a very balanced freshness, which resulted from blends with younger wines during the maturation. An exceptional wine that reflects the classic, elegant, complex and fresh profile of the Ferreira brand. Awards and Distinctions: 92/100 - Wine Spectator; 93/100 - Decanter; Silver - Concours Mondial de Bruxelles 2017; Silver - Decanter World Wine Awards 2017; Great Gold - Decanter World Wine Awards 2016; Silver - Concours Mondial de Bruxelles 201645,68€
- QuickviewWarre's Vintage Double Magnum 2007 is a Port where each component of the batches ages for 18 months in oak barrels. The wine is bottled in May of 2009, without any filtration or clarification. Irresistible and worthy of sharing it with your closest friends this refined bottle of 3Lt.339,26€
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewSimply The Best Port 10 years for Decanter magazine, Graham's 10 years old Tawny is prepared with an impressive selection of reserve wines, aged 10 years on average. Graham's winemaker combines very old wines with other younger, giving a Tawny complex and elegant, with lush fruity that is the hallmark of Graham's. Extremely soft in the mouth, it has a great bouquet and a long finish.2,19€
- QuickviewQuinta do Noval Vintage 2003 Port Wine elegance and personality are some of the factors that contributed to this Ports distinction, which is considered one of the best in the world by the best 2010 sommelier, Luca Gardini. A Port Wine that resisted the phylloxera never having needed to suffer grafts. With full bodied tannins, that provide it good aging potential, transformed it into an exceptional quality wine.151,76€
- QuickviewCroft 2009 Vintage Port This Vintage Port was created in 2009, which will be remembered as a year of low yields, due, in part, to the small amount of fruit and the effects of a very dry ripening season. The ripening season started with relatively cold weather that remained so until July. However, August was intensely hot. An early harvest granted wines a good acid balance and avoided over-ripening.45,92€
- QuickviewTaylor's Select Reserve features a vibrant red ruby colour. On the palate is vigorous and features aromas of fresh fruit. This Port wine was produced from young wine batches and then, aged in oak barrels, in which gets soften and strengthen.The afertaste is long, fresh and intense. Don't miss the opportunity of getting this bottle of 37, 50 cl and enjoy this wine with your other half, for a moment and you will never forget.9,88€
- QuickviewUm vinho acessível e leve cujo consumo pode ser feito aquando da sua juventude, sendo um ótimo acompanhante para queijos ou chocolates.52,69€
- QuickviewThis opaque purple color Vintage captivates any port lover with its intense floral aromas of rock rose and violet from the contribution of caste Touriga Franca and Touriga Nacional Douro. The addition of Sousão variety gives the Dow's Quinta Senhora da Ribeira Vintage 2013 a good acidity and soft notes of spice. The respected magazine specialized in wine, Wine Spectator, assigned 94 points to this Vintage, recognizing their admirable quality.119,03€
- QuickviewFonseca Quinta do Panascal 2008 Vintage Port is a wine with a wonderful black fruit and plum flavour, with a spice hint. This is a rich wine that you can immediately savour, or later, by saving a few bottles to enjoy at various times in your life or for sheer pleasure. Bottled in 201061,59€
- QuickviewTaylor's White Port wine is mainly produced using white grapes from Douro Valley. A wine aged in wooden barrels for about three years, achieving its softness character. Considered a traditional, full bodied and smooth Port Wine.11,49€
- QuickviewCroft Fine Ruby is intensely fruity, with a strong flavour in which stands out the black berries taste, giving it its penetrating ruby colour. With a classic aroma and strong fruity fragrance, is produced from lots of red wine from Douro Superior, the Lower Corgo and the Top Corgo. The wines from which is produced Croft Fine Ruby, are aged about three years and are selected for their deep colour, intense fruity and firm palate.9,90€