KNOWING HOW TO SERVE PORT WINE
A RITUAL WITH A HISTORY
Serving a Port Wine in a decanter contains in itself a ritual full of history and tradition, where the ceremony helps to reinforce the pleasure involving these civilized and sophisticated wines. All Port Wines can be served in a decanter, but only Vintage Port , Late Bottled Vintage and Crusted need to be decanted, for being bottled without being filtered.
Present Port Wine in a beautiful decanter, adding the beauty of its color to the aromas that are released, and enjoy the rare moments of pleasure with the Port Wine tasting. For recent wines, let them rest in a decanter for 2-4 hours before drinking them so that the wine reaches its full potential. If it is a very old Vintage or LBV, place it in the decanter just before serving, so it doesn’t lose any of its fragile aromas on contact with air.
THE DECANTER RITUAL
Tradition has it that at serving time, the decanter should be placed on the table to the right of the host, who serves the first guest seated to his right. Then, he serves himself and passes the decanter to the guest at his left and so on in a clockwise direction until it returns to its starting point.
There are several explanations for this tradition, some of which are dated back to the ancient Celts, the people who inhabited the north of Portugal and who believed that turning right would bring bad luck. Another explanation states that the custom arose from the need to keep the sword arm free in case problems arise. Another adds that the British officers in warships swirled the wine from the left, the side of the harbor. But the simplest point to the fact that people are right-handed and therefore, being more practical to pass the decanter from the left. Most importantly, however, is to ensure that all your guests enjoy a glass of Port Wine.
The Port Wine is one of the best wines in the world and it gains a lot if enjoyed in the proper glass so that its color, aromas and flavors can be appreciated. It should be used in a medium size stem and tulip-shaped glass, so it can be gently agitated to release the aromas, showing all its qualities. Hold the glass by the stem, so that your hand does not obstruct the vision or heat the content.
Since December 2001 there is the official chalice of Port Wine, designed by Álvaro de Siza Vieira, which allows you to enjoy the most of your moments of pleasure, enhancing its appearance and its aromas and flavors.
The Port Wine, which is distinguished by its enormous diversity and surprises us for the richness and intensity of aroma, has high alcohol content (19-22% vol.), and should therefore be tasted at appropriate temperatures, which enhance its fruits and scents. You should avoid drinking it hot where the perception of alcohol (which is already high) rises even further, becoming too volatile and difficult to savor.
– White (served fresh): 6 to 7 ºC
– White: 8 a 12 ºC
– Ruby: 12 a 14 ºC
– Tawny: 14 ºC
– Harvest or Tawny 10, 20, 30, 40: 16 ºC
– Vintage or aged LBV: 16 ºC
– Vintage or young LBV: 18 ºC
- QuickviewThe Port Sandeman Founders is a magnificent ruby and one of Sandeman's reference wines, which is why it has been given a name in honor of its founder. It has a bright and intense ruby red color, rich and fruity aromas, especially ripe red fruits. On the palate, it is an elegant, powerful and fiery Port. Once again, red fruits such as strawberries, raspberries and cherries stands out. A sophisticated and classic Port with an excellent balance between the fruit and fire, characteristics that make this Port unique. Awards and Distinctions: Bronze Medal - Decanter World Wine Awards 2017; Silver Medal - Decanter World Wine Awards 2016.$13,68
- QuickviewFor several years, the Pisca Vine has been the basis of Niepoort Vintage Port wines. Since 2005, Niepoort has taken the opportunity to study its qualities and has found a way to manage the vineyard biologically, thereby producing excellent wines as this Niepoort Vintage Biome 2013 37,5 cl. In this Niepoort stands out its intense purple color and aromas of dark fruits like black plums and blackberries.$49,29
- QuickviewKrohn Harvest 1982 is a Port with a brownish colour and complex aromas of nuts,especially walnuts and hazelnuts,providing a silky, velvety and long aftertaste. An Harvest Port has the particularity of being produced with wine batches from a single harvest, which are then aged for more than seven years before being bottled.$96,96
- QuickviewThe Niepoort Tawny 20 years is a Port with a deep reddish-brown colour and orange shades. It presents a fantastic aroma and taste of candied fruits and dried apricots as well as smooth nuances of nuts. Get this lovely 37,5 cl Port bottle to add to your wine cellar.$36,63
- QuickviewThe year 1978 proved to be a year of adverse weather conditions. However, from a small harvest was born a magnificent production of Port wine from the Krohn house, this exquisite Krohn Harvest 1978. With an intense and vibrant color and silky texture, proves to be a wine with complex aromas and flavors.$183,37
- QuickviewDow's Tawny Ports are Port Wines recognized by its standard creamy, long and traditionally drier finish. Dow's 10 Year Old Tawny Port has a light brown colour, a candied fruit and caramel fragrance, laced with ripe fruit and nuts, such as walnuts. Dow's Tawny 10 Years Old Port is smooth, mature and well balanced. Award-winning wine with gold and silver medals.$21,54
- QuickviewKopke White 10 Years is described by being a fresh and elegant Port Wine and also for having an amazing balance of flavours. It presents aromas of dried fruits as hazelnuts, figs and honey and some hints of citrus fruits like orange. On the palate is a full-bodied Port Wine with a long and persistent aftertaste.$47,71
- QuickviewSimply The Best Port 10 years for Decanter magazine, Graham's 10 years old Tawny is prepared with an impressive selection of reserve wines, aged 10 years on average. Graham's winemaker combines very old wines with other younger, giving a Tawny complex and elegant, with lush fruity that is the hallmark of Graham's. Extremely soft in the mouth, it has a great bouquet and a long finish.$2,50
- QuickviewBrownish color with light orange reflections, Kopke Harvest 2005 seduces with its sophisticated aromas of raisins, nuts, dried fruit and light spice notes. On the palate you can feel the complexity of flavors like candied fruit and raisins.$46,33
- QuickviewDow's Quinta Senhora da Ribeira Vintage 2013 is a full bodied wine. It’s impossible to remain indifferent to the dark fruit notes and the firm tannic structure that provides a drier finish on the palate. The junction of the Douro grape varieties Touriga Nacional and Touriga Franca provides an intense floral aroma of rock rose and violet, while the Sousão variety gives it the necessary acidity and light spicy notes.$781,73
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewHarvest Port wines are tawny wines of a single year aged in oak barrels for at least 7 years befor being bottled. Being wines from a single harvest, each year's personality is reflected in the wine itself. Dow's Harvest 2002 is a Port Wine from the best batches of 2002 harvest, that aged in wood casks at Dow's warehouses in Vila Nova de Gaia.$28,17
- QuickviewWarre's Vintage Double Magnum 2007 is a Port where each component of the batches ages for 18 months in oak barrels. The wine is bottled in May of 2009, without any filtration or clarification. Irresistible and worthy of sharing it with your closest friends this refined bottle of 3Lt.$386,75
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewGraham's Vintage Wines come from four farms of the Upper Douro Valley: Quinta dos Malvedos, Quinta das Lages, Quinta da Vila Velha and Quinta de Vale de Malhadas. These farms produce extraordinary quality grapes for Graham's classic vintages production, and one of those wines is Graham's Vintage 2003 Port, which has endless layers of ripe fruit, where blackberry and violet notes stand out. Deep structure, liquorice flavour combined with strong rich tannins that make it a Port Wine of an exceptional complexity. Possesses opaque violet colour.$116,30
- QuickviewDow's Extra Dry White is a wine produced with the absence of the grapes peel, however, to help its fermentation it is added natural yeast. At the time the must reaches the desired degree of sugar, the fermentation is interrupted to make the wine extra dry. To give more ""soul"" to this wine is also added some wine spirits after its fermentation.$11,54
- QuickviewA Port produced from grapes of Vinhas Velhas varieties that is aged for more than seven years in oak barrels. The wood transmits to the wine a unique taste and distinctive. Indicated to serve before a meal, Krohn 1998 Harvest can also be enjoyed with chocolate desserts and creamy cheeses like Serra da Estrela cheese or French cheeses.$70,88
- QuickviewCockburn's Quinta dos Canais 2007 Vintage Port that reveals a high concentration of black fruit balanced by firm tannins. A wine of an exceptional year with an intense and opaque ruby colour. With an active fruity aroma, especially black cherry and cassis combined with violet and mint notes.$53,97
- QuickviewUm vinho com uma fantástica complexidade de aromas a frutos vermelhos que acompanha muito bem queijos e chocolate, mas que também é delicioso bebido por si só.$82,21
- QuickviewCitrine colour with an intense and fruity bouquet, this Noval Extra Dry Wite features itself as an elegant wine in the palate. It presents a good alcohol, sugar and acidity balance which gives the wine the nerve and the freshness of an appetizer and a long and pleasant finish.$19,36
- QuickviewA Port created from wine batches selected from a single harvest, with a good aging capacity. After the harvest these wines are aged in wooden casks for a minimum period of seven years. The Quinta do Noval Harvest 1986 has a clear amber colour, aromas of cedar, nuts and spices. On the palate quite fresh and silky, with a long and persistent finish.$276,12
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewQuinta do Noval Fine Ruby has a bright ruby colour. On the nose is intense and youthful, being impossible to stay indifferent to its distinctive fruity character of wild berries. On the palate, it is a well balanced Port Wine with intense fruity flavours.$16,40
- QuickviewQuinta do Vesuvio Vintage 2005 is a Port with a very intense colour, like the Chinese ink. It is a wine that features aromas of violets and wildflowers. On the palate is quite full-bodied with persistent flavors of blueberries, cassis and dark chocolate notes, providinf a velvety finish.$107,85
- QuickviewAfter the successful launch of the first in the series, the 1964 Single Harvest Port, Taylor's launches a limited amount of a 50 year old harvest, the 1965 Single Harvest, a fine and elegant Port wine. It features a seductive auburn colour with amber tones. In the nose, it stands out aromas of hazelnut and marzipan, combined with delicate notes of wood and soft aromas of quince paste, black pepper and cinnamon. On the palate, it is round and with a silky-smooth texture and slight spicy flavours, providing a long and refreshing finish.$491,66
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewGraham's Ruby Port is full-bodied with youthful freshness and attractive luscious fruit. Very deep-coloured and intensely aromatic, this Port is bottled young so as to retain the assertiveness of the fruit, a recognizable Graham hallmark.$10,68
- QuickviewCroft White Port This Croft White Port wine is made from a batch of wines produced with white grapes from their farms on the Douro Valleys upper slopes. Some of the varieties used include: Arinto, Boal, Esgana Cão, Folgasão, Gouveio, Viosinho and Rabigato$12,62
- QuickviewCaldas Porto Tawny Special Reserve features caramel and toffee balsam, nuances of spices and dried figs. With a strong temperament but simultaneously soft and balanced, it proporcionates a harmonious and long finish on the mouth.$16,19
- QuickviewOffley Boa Vista Vintage 2011 has a deep dark red color, almost opaque. Its aroma is complex and sophisticated, with special highlight to fruity notes of black fruits, mainly plum, balsamic notes of resin and cedar, some floral notes, as well as spicy ones like cloves and nutmeg. It is a wine with a balanced acidity, firm and well integrated tannins. On the palate it is possible to experience the presence of ripe black fruits, such as plum and cherry, providing a persistent and sublime finish. Awards and Distinctions: 95 points Roy Hersh; 94 points Wine Enthusiast Magazine; Gold Medal - Vinalies Internationales 2014; Silver Medal - International Wine & Spirit Competition 2014.$81,91
- QuickviewHarvest wines are Tawny Ports from a single year, aged in wood casks for, at least, 7 years, and one tradition of Niepoort is aging the harvest wines a few more years before bottling. In this Niepoort Harvest 1997 it stands out its aroma and taste of candied fruits, roasted nuts and soft notes of smoke.$167,88
- QuickviewTaylor's Vintage 2003 is an amazing wine with violet and black fruit exotic aromas. Do not fail to make your reservation as soon as possible, ensuring an extraordinary wine whose maturity should be reached from 2035 to 2060. Guarantee a good selection, right now, to enjoy in the company of good friends for many years!$157,75
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewCroft Port Fine Tawny comes from a reserve of Port wines aged in oak casks of 630 litres capacity. Then, there are select the wines to guarantee their quality and style of the house Croft.$10,90