HOW TO STORE WINE
Storing a Port Wine in top condition is a safe investment, which allows you to benefit from the aging capacity of the Port Wine, valuing it as time passes.
One of the most praiseworthy traditions of Vintage Port is to keep a box of Vintage Port of the year of birth of someone, to be enjoyed throughout life milestones, such as a degree, a birthday or even be passed from fathers to sons.
The Port Wine should be stored in a cold and dark place at a constant temperature (optimal at 14 º C) and a humidity of 65% to 75%, so that the corks do not dry out and lose its elasticity. The bottles should be in laying down position, to moisten the corks. The location must be aired, and with no intense smells that can pass into the wine over time. Wines that do not age in the bottle, or with a plastic cap, can be stored with the bottle upright.
STORE AFTER OPENING
The conservation of the Port Wine after opening the bottle varies depending on the type of wine and where it will be stored. To appreciate the Port Wine under optimum conditions, you should take some precautions.
Vintage Port should be drunk quickly or, at most, within 48 hours. Its conservation should favor a decanter with lid, to prevent contact with the air to be prolonged.
LBV and Crusted should be consumed in 4-5 days and its conservation should also occur in a decanter with lid or a bottle with cork.
Ruby and Ruby Reserve may be preserved from 8 to 10 days in a decanter or bottle, which is properly covered.
For the Tawny and Tawny Reserve, the conservation period is longer and may take up to 3-4 weeks.
As for the Tawny or Whites with indication of age (10/20/30/40) they can wait 1 to 4 months, keeping in mind that the older they are the longer they may be preserved, if properly covered.
Harvest wines can wait from 1 to 4 months, and also the older they are the more time they can wait.
Younger Whites can be stored between 8 to 10 days and the more traditional ones can wait 15 to 20 days.
- QuickviewQuinta da Gaivosa is known for its Port Wines with irresistible notes of herbs, spices, dried orange peel, maple syrup and almonds. It is also impossible to stay indifferent to the notes of marmalade, caramel and toasted nuts. Complex, full-bodied and refined, that is how we present this amazing Quinta da Gaivosa Tawny 10 Years.30,54€
- QuickviewWith an intense amber color, this Kopke Harvest 1975 presents soft aromas of dried fruits perfectly enclosed by delicate spicy notes. On the palate is a soft, silky and well-structured wine. Its elegance extends, providing a compelling and lasting finish.135,30€
- QuickviewPacheca White Port presents a yellow colour with golden shades. Its aroma is fruity, being possible to feel soft notes of citrus fruits, toasted nuts like walnuts and delicate notes of honey. On the mouth, Pacheca White Port is fresh, elegant and the aftertaste is slightly buttery and slightly delicious.8,00€
- QuickviewTawnys with indication of age are wines that result from the mixture of different wine batches with average ages of 10 years. The long aging in small oak casks provide it its vibrant colour and the amazing complexity of flavours and aromas. Niepoort Tawny 10 Years is a Port wine with a deep golden colour and intense scents of candied fruit and apricots.34,44€
- QuickviewThe process of making Vintage Port is a fine-tuned art. Charles selects specific parcels of vines from each of these properties to create a perfect harmony and balance. The proof is in the tasting. Grahams Vintage Magnum 2011 Port is more than the sum of its parts. If youve tasted, we think youll agree.181,97€
- QuickviewQuinta do Vallado Tawny 20 Years is a very rich and aromatic wine, which combines dried fruit with cigar notes. With freshness that characterizes much of the Quinta do Vallado Tawny, unctuous liquorice flavour, with round finish in the mouth. A Silver Medal Wine awarded by the "International Wine Challenge 2004" in May 2004 and by Wine Magazine "in the same month of 2004. Be sure to evaluate this excellent suggestion yourself.30,75€
- QuickviewThe 2009 year celebrates the anniversary of the Oporto city liberation by the Anglo-Portuguese army in 12th of may in 1809. An army led by the Duke of Wellington. To celebrate the release of William's Warre hometown, the House of Warre's decided to bottle 6,000 bottles of this 2009 Vintage, each one of them numbered. The Warre's Vintage ""Liberation of Oporto"" 2009 was aged for 18 months in wooden casks before being bottled in April of 2011. This Port features very floral and fragrant scents typical of a Warre's, with aromas of roses, violets and slight notes of mint and eucalyptus.92,80€
- QuickviewTawny Port Wines are young wines of several years, aged between two and three years in wood barrels, giving them aromas of nuts. Cockburn's Fine Tawny is an elegant, velvety Port with spice aromas.7,23€
- QuickviewCroft White Port This Croft White Port wine is made from a batch of wines produced with white grapes from their farms on the Douro Valleys upper slopes. Some of the varieties used include: Arinto, Boal, Esgana Cão, Folgasão, Gouveio, Viosinho and Rabigato7,37€
- QuickviewTo celebrate the 170º anniversary of the Niepoort their were bottled 999 bottles VV Port Wine, where it was intended to create wine that presented the concentration and richness of original VV with the refinement and purity of Niepoort wines. The Niepoort VV Very Old Tawny is a deep brown colour with green olives reflexes. Presents a crystalline appearance and intense aromas of nuts, raisin, honey, coffee and smoke.1.457,55€
- QuickviewThis Croft Vintage Port produced in the year of 2009 will be remembered as a year of low incomes, owing in part to the small amount of fruit, but also to the effects of a very dry ripening season. The ripening season began with a relatively cold weather and so remained until July. However, August turned being a month with intense heat. An early vintage wine with a good and well balance acid.91,64€
- QuickviewWarre's Warrior Reserve Port was a wine regarded as a production from one of the best casks of Warre's Reserve Port. A full-bodied classic wine with a wonderful richness and a stunning balance that possesses a deep ruby colour and plum aroma, cherry and rose notes. Great concentration and definition in the mouth with balanced sweetness and softness, and a long and complex finish.11,93€
- QuickviewRamos Pinto Vintage 2000 is a quite fruity with a complex aroma, combining ripe plum, red fruit jam, small-berry fruit as well as dark chocolate and pepper notes. Structured and full-bodied in the mouth, finishes off in a seductive velvety way with a hot and long aftertaste. High concentration of firm tannins which provides ageing potential.55,69€
- QuickviewVintage Port wines are bottled two years after their harvest, and then produced in a single year. The Niepoort Vintage 1980 owns a hypnotizing dark reddish colour, aromas of fresh fruit and spices as well as slight notes of cedar and rosemary. On the palate is a well structured wine with strong tannins and a lovely acidity.129,62€
- QuickviewCroft Vintage Quinta da Roeda 2005 has a black colour with purple reflections, an exotic aroma of woods and floral fragrances that contrast with the opulent fruit. On the nose it is possible to feel the fragrance of eucalyptus and wild notes of lavender and Mint.60,89€
- QuickviewCroft 20 Years Old Tawny Port This Port wine belongs to one of the oldest Port Houses, Croft House which it was founded over four centuries ago, in 1588. Croft 20 Years Old Tawny Port was made from a selection of Port wines aged in wood, which matured in winey oak casks. After maturation, these wines are identified with a batch, so that the quality and the style of the House is always guaranteed. This Port possesses a tawny colour and an ocher rim with wood, dried fruit and ripe figgy aromas. Its a pleasant, smooth and mellow wine with a long finish.42,44€
- QuickviewWarre's Vintage Double Magnum 2007 is a Port where each component of the batches ages for 18 months in oak barrels. The wine is bottled in May of 2009, without any filtration or clarification. Irresistible and worthy of sharing it with your closest friends this refined bottle of 3Lt.339,26€
- QuickviewNiepoort Harvest 2005 is a Port wine produced in the Vale de Mendiz wine cellar, where the grapes were "stepped" and then aged in Vila Nova de Gaia cellars in barrels of 550 litres. It is a wine that features a dark red-brick with brownish shades. Its aroma is quite clean, fresh and elegant with delicate nuances of dried fruits and spices. Get this 2005 Harvest Port of 37,5 cl in our online shop.17,05€
- QuickviewRamos Pinto Porto 30 Years is a wine created from wine batches from Ramos Pinto House farms situated in the Douro region. The 30 year old Port was created from wines which have been aging for several decades in wooden casks. It features a brown colour with orange and greenish nuances, characteristic from old Port wines. An elegant Port with aromas of vanilla, dried fruit and some notes of spices, especially cinnamon and cocoa.87,33€
- QuickviewThe Niepoort Vintage 2003 is a Port that has everything to be one of the best Niepoorts Vintage in decades. An elegant wine, mineral with delicate flavours, a striking elegance and long aftertaste. It is a Vintage that you will not want to miss, and that is perfect to celebrate a special day with friends and share this 1,5 lt bottle.192,13€
- QuickviewThe prestigious Vallado house has created a very special and exclusive edition: a box of 100 years. In this box of a very elegant design, Vallado has reunited its four tawnies with age indication: the classic 10 year old tawny, the elegant 20 year old tawny, the complex 30 year old tawny and also the outstanding and refined 40 year old tawny, resulting in a very special pack of 100 years of Port wine.176,71€
- QuickviewTaylor's Tawny 10 Years Taylors Tawny combines a ripe berry fruit aroma with delicate dried fruity notes, and which is very soft and silky on the palate. Try it at the end of a good meal and savour it in good company. Serve slightly chilled to enhance flavour and pleasure.21,65€
- QuickviewCaldas Porto Tawny Special Reserve features caramel and toffee balsam, nuances of spices and dried figs. With a strong temperament but simultaneously soft and balanced, it proporcionates a harmonious and long finish on the mouth.14,24€
- QuickviewMade only from white grapes, this pale coloured Port is fresh and delicate. The grapes used in the production of Graham's Fine White are traditional white varieties from the Douro Valley, such as, Códega, Malvasia Fina, Rabigato and Viosinho. During production this wine has no contact with the grape skins.8,12€
- QuickviewA special set of Taylor's that reveals perfectly the magnificence of the 10, 20, 30 and 40 Year Old Tawny. The name "Century" comes from the sum of the years represented in four bottles. This collection comes with bottles of 37, 5 cl, an ideal gift to any Port Wine lover.73,55€
- QuickviewDow's Senhora da Ribeira Vintage Magnum 1998 is a Port Wine that reunites all the characteristics of a classic Vintage Dow's, absolutely black, with a slight ruby edge. In the nose is possible to feel the delicated floral notes of violets and roses, as some hints of black fruit and cocoa. Powerful, elegant and fruity tannins that provide an outstanding balance and magnificient harmony. With a bottle of 1,5Lt it is possible to taste this wine in a special event, like your birthday.122,62€
- QuickviewFonseca Quinta do Panascal 2005 Vintage Port is a wine with a fruity flavour, rich, luscious and with a fine floral aroma. A wine to savour now or to reserve a few bottles to enjoy later, enjoying the aromas that it will develop over time. Bottled in 200759,80€
- QuickviewCroft Port Reserve is a Port of Ruby style that belongs to the Reserve category. This is a Port where the quality is superior and the long experience of Port Wine production of Croft House is well present, in which the wine fully justifies its price. Croft Port Reserve features an elegant case, enriching its presentation.11,29€
- QuickviewFonseca Quinta do Panascal 1998 Vintage Port has a fruity flavour and is a very fragrant wine. Medium-bodied wine, very well structured and that is ready to be savoured. Book a few bottles in your wine cellar and enjoy its evolution. Bottled in 200194,99€
- QuickviewDalva Harvest 1940 is a wine form a single harvest of a specific year. The peculiarity of this wine is that it has no indication of age as a blended tawny (10, 20, 30, 40,), but instead an indication, it has the year mentioned on the label and, for this reason, an Harvest wine should not be confused with a Vintage. An Harvest wine should age a minimum period of seven years in oak barrels before being bottled.795,76€
- QuickviewCroft Vintage Port 2007 This is a fragrant Port wine with black cherry and violet aromas and a touch of eucalyptus. A good choice for a Vintage to accompany the end of a meal.Ageing Period: Aged for 24 months in oak casks and then in bottles for several years.123,00€
- QuickviewTaylor's Vintage 1977 is a youthful wine that you can certainly appreciate right now, but that can benefit from leaving it to age for few more years.It is a wine with floral scents and ripe fruity aromas. Do not fail to make your reservation as soon as possible, ensuring an extraordinary wine to savour in the company of good friends!485,00€
- QuickviewQuinta da Gaivosa goes back to its origins with the launch of this 10 year old White Port Wine. The experiences and teachings allowed Quinta da Gaivosa to recreat high quality Port Wines. Currently, the Alves de Sousa family is proud to present a distinct line of Ports. Notes of herbs, spices, dried orange peel, maple syrup and almonds. It is also impossible to stay indifferent to the unique notes of marmalade, caramel and nuts. Quinta da Gaivosa White 10 Years White is a complex, full-bodied and refined Port Wine.26,78€
- QuickviewQuinta do Noval Tawny 40 Years is a wine with a dark brown hue with golden edge and green reflections, a Port Wine aged in wood. Concentrated and complex wine that retains the perfect balance. The freshness is considered a very important characteristic in Old Tawny Port Wine.186,96€
- QuickviewDalva Tawny 30 Years rested in wood casks during various years, in which, the age mentioned on the bottle is the average of a ' blend ' of several «Harvest» Port wines. As this wine has aged for many years in wood, it will present a golden colour with greenish shades that will evolve until they reach a very complex fragrance, in which are enhanced the aromas of dried fruits, wood, spices and toasted.98,40€
- QuickviewA Tawny Taylor's that combines perfectly aromas of ripe berries and delicate notes of dried fruit. A very soft and silky Wine on the palate. Enjoy it at the end of a meal with a good company. Serve it slightly cool to accentuate the taste and pleasure. A 1, 5Lt Edition in a wooden box that will not want to miss. A good suggestion for surprising someone very special.56,76€
- QuickviewTaylor's has invested in new Port Wine styles, like this Taylor s Chip Dry White Port, made from white grapes varieties. Fermentation is longer than usual so it is possible to obtain a dry and crispy finish. This wine ageing is made in oak casks and the wine batches production conclude the characteristics of fresh fruit and nuts. Produced in limited quantities, the bottles are numbered with the wharehouse number information, where the Port wine has aged. A miniature bottle of a 5 cl Port Wine that you will love to collect.1,82€
- QuickviewQuinta do Noval Black is considered for its producers a new way to drink Port, destined to be enjoyed with dark chocolate or simply appreciated chilled, being also possible to use it as a cocktail ingrediente. Christian Seely, from the Wine & Spirits magazine described this Noval as a revolutionary new style of Port. He highlights the intense aromas and powerful black cherry flavours and spicy notes provides its juiciness finish. Quinta do Noval Black is a Port Wine "At the level of many of the region's best LBVs, this wine may become a staple for a new generation of Port drinkers." (Wine & Spirits).21,89€
- QuickviewFonseca Ruby Port Wine is a Port with a ruby colour, very fresh and young, with fruit flavours of the plum type. It is also an excellent dessert wine and excellent finish to a meal.10,15€
- QuickviewTaylor's Select Reserve features a vibrant red ruby colour. On the palate is vigorous and features aromas of fresh fruit. This Port wine was produced from young wine batches and then, aged in oak barrels, in which gets soften and strengthen. The afertaste is long, fresh and intense. This Taylor's Select Reserve comes in an elegant case with a satin interior.12,30€
- QuickviewThis is a rich and elegant Vintage Port with a fresh wild fruit and candy aromsa. A wine that will be more appreciated if consumed from 2018. Book some bottles, right now, and also offer them to someone very special. This is a good wine to enjoy in good company, at a party or in a special anniversary.227,08€
- QuickviewThe Symington family, known for producing several much-admired Port wines from several reputable brands, has launched what is considered a magnificent Vintage: Dow's Senhora da Ribeira Vintage 2015. Quinta Senhora da Ribeira is one of the most isolated vineyards in the Douro and, together with Quinta do Bomfim, provides the best grapes that originate the Dow's wine. The finest grape varieties of Touriga Nacional and Franca, as well as small portions of Sousão grapes, resulted in an exceptional opaque purple-black Port wine, with great complexity, refreshing tannins and a balanced acidity.66,54€
- QuickviewFonseca Quinta do Panascal 1996 Vintage Port is a youthful and very attractive wine. It is a rich, velvety wine with chocolate and prune aromas. It is a wine to be immediately savoured but you can also book a few bottles for later. Bottled in 199885,12€
- QuickviewThe Kopke Harvest 1998 is an elegant and complex wine. Even though it has intense flavors is a well balanced wine.With a bright reddish brown color, presents a set of delicate aromas marked by the presence of nuts, spices, honey and fresh red fruits like cherries.51,00€
- QuickviewNiepoort Dry White is a Port with an unusual style. The grapes used to make this wine went through a long maceration with the peels. Their are used several wines aged in oak barrels for about 3 years before being bottled. Enjoy this bottle of 37,5 cl and share this amazing wine in a special occasion with your other half, for a unforgettable moment.5,17€
- QuickviewGraham's Stone Terraces Vintage 2015 is the second Vintage produced from the stone terraces of Quinta dos Malvedos. Although still young, it reveals an exceptional elegance and complexity, with a prospect that it will ages superbly. This Port wine reveals sublime floral aromas; bouquet of roses and violets. It is still possible to note the very discreet presence of caramel notes. On the palate, it is a rich and elegant Vintage with some mineral freshness and soft notes of spices.232,99€
- QuickviewThe year of 2009 was important because it had all the ingredients to produce a classic Vintage, with power and elegance. With a low density of plantation, ripening and perfect concentration as well as great acidity. Niepoort Vintage 2009 is a Port wine with aromas of fruit, pepper and spices. A Vintage of great power and elegance.86,10€
- QuickviewFonseca Tawny 10 Years ripens in oak casks for an average of 10 years. With reddish-brown and crimson reflections, in a silky and smooth composition, where there are many wood notes and strong tannins, creating a mystical bond with fresh acidity. This is a Port with a graceful long finish and fruity notes that remind plums.20,91€
- QuickviewKopke Harvest 1989 is a Port Wine created exclusively with wines from the 1989 harvest, which was then aged in wood for at least 7 years prior to its bottling. This Port features a tawny amber colour and intense aromas of dried fruits, vanilla and hints of roasted coffee.78,22€
- QuickviewQuinta do Vesuvio Vintage 1999 is a limited edition Port Wine. Only 2000 boxes were bottled to be saled. These 2000 bottles represent only 8% of the Quinta production in the year of 1999, presenting itself as a high quality Vintage. To add even more emphasis to this Vintage, it was created an edition of 4, 5Lt (6 bottles)..413,26€