HOW TO DECANT PORT WINE
PLEASURE WITH KNOWLEDGE
Decanting is a particular procedure of Port wine that separates the natural sediment that forms on the bottle of wine as it ages, and aerates the wine and let its delicate aromas to open and reveal themselves. The presentation of the Port Wine in a decanter allows you to not only appreciate its color, but also creates the ideal atmosphere for a full enjoyment of the wine, linking the ’eye pleasure’ to the unique flavor of each wine.
All Port wines can be served in a decanter, but only bottled wine without being filtered, such as Vintage Port, Late Bottled Vintage and Crusted need to be decanted.
Place the bottle opening vertically, or in a proper support, 1 to 2 hours before opening the bottle, so that the sediments can settle down on the bottom. Remove the seal and clean the top of the bottle. Removing the cork may not be an easy task. In older Vintage Port wines, the cork may be fragile, or even glued to the bottle neck, something that can be induced by the high sugar content of the Port Wine. In this case, you can use tongs. See the section that teaches ‘how to open a bottle of Port Wine using tongs’ and that includes a short film.
You need a perfectly clean decanter. You can rinse it with some hot water through its interior to remove impurities and enable greater cleaning. Flip it after that so it stays well cleaned and with no traces of water.
You can also use a funnel and a clean muslin, a cloth napkin or a metal colander to help pour the wine into the decanter, preventing the passage of sediments, or if the cork is weakened and has fallen partially into the wine.
OPEN A BOTTLE OF VINTAGE PORT WINE WITH TONGS
Place the bottle vertically or in a proper support. Using tongs suitable for the size of the bottleneck; heat tongs directly on the fire and place them around the bottleneck at about 1 cm from the end of the cork, for some time, but not more than 1 minute. After removing the tongs of the bottleneck, pour some cold water on the heated spot. You will hear the click from the neck breaking. Slightly relieve the broken part and let it rest a moment under the water flow, so it cleans and removes some of the residues that may exist. Remove the cork, pulling the rest of it which is still on the bottle. See the movie and dare yourself. It is a unique moment in a ritual full of history.
- QuickviewThis is a Fonsecas Vintage Port of great longevity with a harmonious blend of cherry and plum flavours. Enjoy this Port at various times in your life.$210,91
- QuickviewAmber in colour, and of an extraordinary complexity with layers of dried fruits, nuts and caramel, consumers consider it to recall a whiskey. In its aroma, this Cockburn's 20 Year Old Tawny Port, exactly expresses roasted almonds and dried fruit aromas, with great intensity and persistence. In this Port Wine, the wood ageing characteristics are notorious, as well as ripe fruit, which allowed it to acquire great silk like smoothness. It is sweet and elegant on the palate, medium-bodied, without astringency and dried fruit retro-aroma. Excellent balance.$32,78
- QuickviewGraham's 2009 Late Bottled Vintage has a deep almost opaque colour, with an intense dark red rim. On the nose, elegant aromas of red fruit and eucalyptus, combined with freshly picked mint and notes of the distinctive Douro Rockrose (Gum Cistus). On the palate, rich red fruit flavours balanced by taut, peppery tannins. There is a fine backbone of schist minerality and balanced acidity, with a long and satisfying finish. It should be served slightly cool, between 12 and 16° Celsius.$1,81
- QuickviewAged in oak casks for a minimum period of seven years before being bottled, the Harvest Ports are produced through a single harvest. The Niepoort Harvest 2001 is a dense, intense and fresh wine, with a great aromatic concentration and notes of dried fruits, like plums and apricots, and a slight touch of smoke.$53,51
- QuickviewTaylor's Select Reserve features a vibrant red ruby colour. On the palate is vigorous and features aromas of fresh fruit. This Port wine was produced from young wine batches and then, aged in oak barrels, in which gets soften and strengthen. The afertaste is long, fresh and intense. This Taylor's Select Reserve comes in an elegant case with a satin interior.$15,30
- QuickviewCroft Port Fine Tawny comes from a reserve of Port wines aged in oak casks of 630 litres capacity. Then, there are select the wines to guarantee their quality and style of the house Croft.$10,96
- QuickviewThe Niepoort LBV is considered one of the most iconic wines from Niepoort. Produced from a magnificent selection of high quality red Port wines. With a dark red color and aroma of cherries along with an elegant floral character, this wine turns out to be quite balanced and fresh, with a firm and robust finish.$45,26
- QuickviewQuinta do Vesuvio Vintage 2005 is a Port with a very intense colour like Chinese ink. It is a wine with aromas of violets and wildflowers. On the palate is a full bodied wine, with persistant flavours of blueberries, cassis and dark chocolate notes, +rovidinf a velvety finish. The creation of a 4, 5Lt (6 bottles) eddition, allows the biggest Port lover to have this treasure at home and share it with family and friends.$513,60
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewWith an amber color and golden reflections, Kopke Harvest 1976 is a wine of intense and complex aromas, suggesting delicate notes of condensed milk, vanilla and coffee. On the palate it is a soft and well-structured Port wine that provides a lasting and well balanced finish.$186,87
- QuickviewGraham's Tawny 20 Years is the pursuit of perfection between the amazing balance of freshness of young Port Wines and the complexity of the aged ones. An wine improved over 20 years to achieve the pretended excellence and delight the consumers. With an amber and tawny gold colour and complex but harmonious flavours. Rich aroma of riped fruits, nuts, such as walnuts and notes of orange zest. Impeccably balanced with a long and elegant finish. An elegant wine from 20 years ago in a special bottle of 4, 5Lt to ven the most demanding Port Wine lovers.$361,95
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewQuinta do Noval Tawny 10 Years represents perfectly Noval Tawny style. It developed the characteristics of an Old Tawny Port wine, keeping to the fullest its fruity and freshness features. An elegant and appetizing Tawny that you can now appreciate and acquire in a bottle of 37,5 cl.$23,84
- QuickviewThe year of 2009 was important because it had all the ingredients to produce a classic Vintage, with power and elegance. With a low density of plantation, ripening and perfect concentration as well as great acidity. Niepoort Vintage 2009 is a Port wine with aromas of fruit, pepper and spices. Enjoy a special occasion with friends and family and celebrate with this irresistible Niepoort Vintage 2009 5Lt, because special moments deserve a unique type of wine.$693,70
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewSelected by Sandeman for its unique and magnificent characteristics, Sandeman Vintage 225 Years - Word, is a wine that ages in bottle for a period of 20 to 25 years. Its ruby color reveals all the intensity of its aromatic notes of spices like pepper, cinnamon and also delicate notes of red and black fruits. A complex and full-bodied wine that provides a perfect and long-lasting finish.$146,76
- QuickviewDow's Midnight is a young and vigorous Port Wine, which make it fresh and with more mature aromas of red fruits. This wine was thought to attract the younger crowd with its great balance of fruit. This Dow's was produced only through the best wines from Dow's farms, including the Quinta do Bomfim and Senhora da Ribeira.$10,64
- QuickviewUm vinho com uma cor mais pálida e um estilo mais luminoso o que o torna num vinho com uma complexidade diferente do habitual.$13,16
- QuickviewBuilt in 1976, Quinta do Vallado is one of the oldest and most prestigious houses in the Douro Valley. With nearly 200 years of history, the Quinta do Vallado has shown over the year’s magnificent wine production. The latest is this Vallado Adelaide Vintage 2014, a wine that surprises by its intense aromas of ripe fruit and soft tannins, providing a lasting finish.$47,87
- QuickviewDow's Tawny Ports are Port Wines recognized by its standard creamy, long and traditionally drier finish. Dow's 10 Year Old Tawny Port has a light brown colour, a candied fruit and caramel fragrance, laced with ripe fruit and nuts, such as walnuts. Dow's Tawny 10 Years Old Port is smooth, mature and well balanced. Award-winning wine with gold and silver medals.$21,54
- QuickviewThe Kopke Harvest 1998 is an elegant and complex wine. Even though it has intense flavors is a well balanced wine. With a bright reddish brown color, presents a set of delicate aromas marked by the presence of nuts, spices, honey and fresh red fruits like cherries.$70,11
- QuickviewFruity aroma consisting of plum and fig with syrup fruit, combined with caramel, vanilla and honey. This Cockburn's 10 Years Old Tawny Port leaves no one indifferent. With a dry character and with some minerality, it reflects its good complexity. Elegant and balanced flavour with fine dried fruit notes, mainly hazelnuts and almonds. It presents a velvety finish and a gracious after taste.$21,03
- QuickviewThe Fonseca Terra Prima was the first Port Wine produced only with grapes from a organic viticulture. The Fonseca House was one of the pioneers in the organic viticulture, being Quinta do Panascal in the Távora Valley exclusively dedicated to the organic production. Fonseca Terra Prima is a fresh and vibrant wine with the combination of fruity aromas that express the best of organic grapes.$22,61
- QuickviewThe Port Sandeman Founders is a magnificent ruby and one of Sandeman's reference wines, which is why it has been given a name in honor of its founder. It has a bright and intense ruby red color, rich and fruity aromas, especially ripe red fruits. On the palate, it is an elegant, powerful and fiery Port. Once again, red fruits such as strawberries, raspberries and cherries stands out. A sophisticated and classic Port with an excellent balance between the fruit and fire, characteristics that make this Port unique. Awards and Distinctions: Bronze Medal - Decanter World Wine Awards 2017; Silver Medal - Decanter World Wine Awards 2016.$13,68
- QuickviewQuinta do Noval Tawny 40 Years is a wine with a dark brown hue with golden edge and green reflections, a Port Wine aged in wood. Concentrated and complex wine that retains the perfect balance. The freshness is considered a very important characteristic in Old Tawny Port Wine.$214,48
- QuickviewThe grapes used for this Port Wine production are carried from the vineyard to the cellar in plastic boxes which are strictly inspected and selected only those in excellent conditions.These are then slightly crushed and transferred to traditional stone tanks where they are ""stepped"" by foot. After it, in the fermentation, it is added wine spirits to give it the desired alcoholic degree and at the same time fortifying wine. Quinta do Crasto Finest Reserve is an intense ruby colour Port wine with complex aromas of red fruits and balsamic notes.$15,08
- QuickviewFrom the sub-region of the Upper Douro, which ranges between 110 and 340 meters above sea level, emerges Ramos Pinto Quinta da Ervamoira Vintage 2007 Port. Considered a Single among the farms Vintages, it is an award-winning wine, holder of a bronze, silver and gold medals. Extraordinarily elegant and complex aroma, under which emanates aromas of eucalyptus, rock rose, red and wild berry ripe fruit, such as strawberries and blackberry, and chocolate aromas, and cedar balsamic notes. Soft tannins give it a satin touch and a haughty persistence.$77,11
- QuickviewWith vibrant color and brilliant golden nuances, Ferreira Dry White reveals intense aromas of toasted nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts, pine nuts and floral notes. On the mouth, it is a Port with a perfectly balanced acidity, where you can enjoy soft notes of nuts and all the complexity and richness acquired during the aging process in oak wood. An elegant wine, which presents a good balance between sweetness and acidity, providing a fresh and harmonious finish.$11,09