HOW TO DECANT PORT WINE
PLEASURE WITH KNOWLEDGE
Decanting is a particular procedure of Port wine that separates the natural sediment that forms on the bottle of wine as it ages, and aerates the wine and let its delicate aromas to open and reveal themselves. The presentation of the Port Wine in a decanter allows you to not only appreciate its color, but also creates the ideal atmosphere for a full enjoyment of the wine, linking the ’eye pleasure’ to the unique flavor of each wine.
All Port wines can be served in a decanter, but only bottled wine without being filtered, such as Vintage Port, Late Bottled Vintage and Crusted need to be decanted.
Place the bottle opening vertically, or in a proper support, 1 to 2 hours before opening the bottle, so that the sediments can settle down on the bottom. Remove the seal and clean the top of the bottle. Removing the cork may not be an easy task. In older Vintage Port wines, the cork may be fragile, or even glued to the bottle neck, something that can be induced by the high sugar content of the Port Wine. In this case, you can use tongs. See the section that teaches ‘how to open a bottle of Port Wine using tongs’ and that includes a short film.
You need a perfectly clean decanter. You can rinse it with some hot water through its interior to remove impurities and enable greater cleaning. Flip it after that so it stays well cleaned and with no traces of water.
You can also use a funnel and a clean muslin, a cloth napkin or a metal colander to help pour the wine into the decanter, preventing the passage of sediments, or if the cork is weakened and has fallen partially into the wine.
OPEN A BOTTLE OF VINTAGE PORT WINE WITH TONGS
Place the bottle vertically or in a proper support. Using tongs suitable for the size of the bottleneck; heat tongs directly on the fire and place them around the bottleneck at about 1 cm from the end of the cork, for some time, but not more than 1 minute. After removing the tongs of the bottleneck, pour some cold water on the heated spot. You will hear the click from the neck breaking. Slightly relieve the broken part and let it rest a moment under the water flow, so it cleans and removes some of the residues that may exist. Remove the cork, pulling the rest of it which is still on the bottle. See the movie and dare yourself. It is a unique moment in a ritual full of history.
- QuickviewNiepoort 10 Years White is a unique and distinct Port Wine that was created having for basis some batches of Old White Port Wines. It has a classic style and a great aging, due to the fact of grapes maceration being more prolonged.$39,45
- QuickviewKopke Harvest 1984 is produced with batches from 1984 harvest. It is a Port of a very intense amber colour, concentrated and with complex aromas of dried fruits, spices and hints of vanilla. On the palate this wine is refined and elegant, with a unique freshness. Don't miss the opportunity of enjoy this elegant 37.5 cl editionand share it with your better half.$165,03
- QuickviewDalva Harvest 1940 is a wine form a single harvest of a specific year. The peculiarity of this wine is that it has no indication of age as a blended tawny (10, 20, 30, 40,), but instead an indication, it has the year mentioned on the label and, for this reason, an Harvest wine should not be confused with a Vintage. An Harvest wine should age a minimum period of seven years in oak barrels before being bottled.$903,88
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewThe year of 2009 was important because it had all the ingredients to produce a classic Vintage, with power and elegance. With a low density of plantation, ripening and perfect concentration as well as great acidity. Niepoort Vintage 2009 is a Port wine with aromas of fruit, pepper and spices. A Vintage of great power and elegance. Do not miss this sophisticated Vintage in a 37,5Cl bottle and you can taste it alone or with a good company.$40,33
- QuickviewWarre's Vintage Double Magnum 2007 is a Port where each component of the batches ages for 18 months in oak barrels. The wine is bottled in May of 2009, without any filtration or clarification. Irresistible and worthy of sharing it with your closest friends this refined bottle of 3Lt.$386,75
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewKrohn Harvest 2005 is a Port wine with a brownish red color. On the nose you can feel a whole complexity of aromas like plum, dried figs, raisins and nuts. On the palate reveals a whole sumptuousness of flavors that suggest delicate notes of vanilla and cinnamon perfectly balanced with a slight acidity. The finish is elegant and long lasting.$41,11
- QuickviewWith a bright golden colour it features an intense and fruity bouquet. In the mouth is sweet, creamy and it is possible to feel hints of hazelnuts. It has a good balance of alcohol, sugar and acidity, which gives the wine its characteristic freshness, providing a long and pleasant finish.$20,87
- QuickviewNiepoort Harvest 1999 is a reddish colour wine with some brownish-brick colour. It is a velvety Port with hints of dried apricots and caramel. ThisHarvest reveals its age at the beginning of the taste, but it also becomes fresh and slightly acid with a well defined structure and a long and complex aftertaste.$76,65
- QuickviewThe ageing process of these wines was done in wooden barrels to promote a greater oxygenation. Its original red colour gives way to amber tones, its flavour is enriched by a combination of nuts, dried fruits and the aromas of red fruits.$15,45
- QuickviewCroft 20 Years Old Tawny Port This Port wine belongs to one of the oldest Port Houses, Croft House which it was founded over four centuries ago, in 1588. Croft 20 Years Old Tawny Port was made from a selection of Port wines aged in wood, which matured in winey oak casks. After maturation, these wines are identified with a batch, so that the quality and the style of the House is always guaranteed. This Port possesses a tawny colour and an ocher rim with wood, dried fruit and ripe figgy aromas. Its a pleasant, smooth and mellow wine with a long finish.$48,35
- QuickviewFonseca Vintage 2009 Port Reserve, right now, a Fonseca Vintage Port wine that will be more appreciated if consumed from 2019 to 2039. Do not miss this opportunity to savour a great wine in a few years, celebrating the great moments of your, and of your familys and friends, life.$153,91
- QuickviewDow's Quinta Senhora da Ribeira Vintage 2013 is a full bodied wine. It’s impossible to remain indifferent to the dark fruit notes and the firm tannic structure that provides a drier finish on the palate. The junction of the Douro grape varieties Touriga Nacional and Touriga Franca provides an intense floral aroma of rock rose and violet, while the Sousão variety gives it the necessary acidity and light spicy notes.$781,73
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewProduced with grapes typical from low production vineyards of Douro Valley, Niepoort Tawny 1,5L is a wine that aged about 3 years in old wood oaks. With a shiny color and silky fragrance of toasted dried fruits, this wine is an irresistible temptation.$24,67
- QuickviewCroft White Port This Croft White Port wine is made from a batch of wines produced with white grapes from their farms on the Douro Valleys upper slopes. Some of the varieties used include: Arinto, Boal, Esgana Cão, Folgasão, Gouveio, Viosinho and Rabigato$12,62
- QuickviewQuinta do Vesuvio Vintage 2005 is a Port with a very intense colour like Chinese ink. It is a wine with aromas of violets and wildflowers. On the palate is a full bodied wine, with persistant flavours of blueberries, cassis and dark chocolate notes, +rovidinf a velvety finish. The creation of a 4, 5Lt (6 bottles) eddition, allows the biggest Port lover to have this treasure at home and share it with family and friends.$513,60
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewQuinta do Noval Fine Ruby has a bright ruby colour. On the nose is intense and youthful, being impossible to stay indifferent to its distinctive fruity character of wild berries. On the palate, it is a well balanced Port Wine with intense fruity flavours.$16,40
- Quickview: Um vinho com uma grande concentração de aromas que acompanha na perfeição qualquer queijo ou chocolate, sendo também ótimo para beber sem qualquer acompanhamento.$68,70
- QuickviewBlack colour wine with a live raspberry aroma; this is a Fonsecas very velvety second wine. A good alternative that you will wish to find out for yourself! Bottled in 1997$125,40
- QuickviewFonseca Quinta do Panascal 1996 Vintage Port is a youthful and very attractive wine. It is a rich, velvety wine with chocolate and prune aromas. It is a wine to be immediately savoured but you can also book a few bottles for later. Bottled in 1998$97,07
- QuickviewHarvest Port wines have the particularity of being produced with wine batches from a single harvest, being then placed in wooden casks to age for a minimum period of seven years. Krohn 1987 Harvest is a Port with a dark brownish colour and very pleasant aromas of nuts, like walnuts and hazelnuts.$79,41
- QuickviewUm vinho envolvente com tons dourados, cores cítricas e muito floral.$14,62
- QuickviewA Port with intense aromas and flavours is this Dalva 1985 Harvest, which offers fantastic aromas of fruit jam, marmalade and spices. These aromas will change as the time passes by, acquiring aromas of dried fruits, cinnamon and coffee. All these combined flavours and aromas in a 1985 harvest wine that you won't want to miss.$98,15
- QuickviewNiepoort Vintage 2007 is a Port with a rich and intense colour, black fruit aromas and light green notes revealing a great elegance. On the palate is sweet but with a strong structure, revealing firm and long tannins.$120,76
- QuickviewWith a vibrant golden colour, Pacheca Lágrima Port is a wine with sweet and fruity aroma, highlighting the fresh notes of orange blossom. In the mouth, is a full-bodied complex and buttery Port. It is possible to feel the sweetness of ripe fruits and slight notes of honey. Enjoy your Pacheca Lágrima Port fresh as an aperitif or to pair with a foie gras appetizer or even with an irresistible dessert.$12,62
- QuickviewSandeman White Port is a young and fresh wine. It has a bright yellow straw color and reveals aromas with an incredible freshness and intensity, mainly vanilla and tropical fruits. On the palate is a soft and intense wine, with an excellent balance between the natural dryness of the wine and the of sweetness from the fruit. The ending is refreshing, persistent and irresistible. Enjoy your fresh Sandeman White, with a few ice rocks or as a cocktail, with tonic water and lemon.$11,65
- QuickviewNiepoort Tawny is produced with grapes from low production vineyards of Douro Valley. They are young wines that result from several harvest and age for about three and a half years in old oak barrels. The Niepoort Tawny is a Port that owns a bright colour and powerful aromas of nuts and dried fruits.$11,16
- QuickviewCroft Rosé Port The first Rosé Port created by Croft House, that would be the first in a new Port Wine style and an unquestionable reference: Croft Rosé / Pink. This Port Wine was achieved by a new technique capable of extracting fresh and fruity flavours and providing a subtle pink and delicate colour to the wine. The result is a wonderfully fresh and vibrant, full of fruity rich flavours and, but still unique and distinct.$18,13
- QuickviewPort with a black colour and blackberry, strawberry and wild berries aroma, which is a very tempting second Fonsecas wine. Enjoy now and also book a few bottles in your cellar. This is a good option for happy gathering with friends.$88,81
- QuickviewQuinta do Noval Black is considered for its producers a new way to drink Port, destined to be enjoyed with dark chocolate or simply appreciated chilled, being also possible to use it as a cocktail ingrediente. Christian Seely, from the Wine & Spirits magazine described this Noval as a revolutionary new style of Port. He highlights the intense aromas and powerful black cherry flavours and spicy notes provides its juiciness finish. Quinta do Noval Black is a Port Wine "At the level of many of the region's best LBVs, this wine may become a staple for a new generation of Port drinkers." (Wine & Spirits).$24,94