HOW TO DECANT PORT WINE
PLEASURE WITH KNOWLEDGE
Decanting is a particular procedure of Port wine that separates the natural sediment that forms on the bottle of wine as it ages, and aerates the wine and let its delicate aromas to open and reveal themselves. The presentation of the Port Wine in a decanter allows you to not only appreciate its color, but also creates the ideal atmosphere for a full enjoyment of the wine, linking the ’eye pleasure’ to the unique flavor of each wine.
All Port wines can be served in a decanter, but only bottled wine without being filtered, such as Vintage Port, Late Bottled Vintage and Crusted need to be decanted.
Place the bottle opening vertically, or in a proper support, 1 to 2 hours before opening the bottle, so that the sediments can settle down on the bottom. Remove the seal and clean the top of the bottle. Removing the cork may not be an easy task. In older Vintage Port wines, the cork may be fragile, or even glued to the bottle neck, something that can be induced by the high sugar content of the Port Wine. In this case, you can use tongs. See the section that teaches ‘how to open a bottle of Port Wine using tongs’ and that includes a short film.
You need a perfectly clean decanter. You can rinse it with some hot water through its interior to remove impurities and enable greater cleaning. Flip it after that so it stays well cleaned and with no traces of water.
You can also use a funnel and a clean muslin, a cloth napkin or a metal colander to help pour the wine into the decanter, preventing the passage of sediments, or if the cork is weakened and has fallen partially into the wine.
OPEN A BOTTLE OF VINTAGE PORT WINE WITH TONGS
Place the bottle vertically or in a proper support. Using tongs suitable for the size of the bottleneck; heat tongs directly on the fire and place them around the bottleneck at about 1 cm from the end of the cork, for some time, but not more than 1 minute. After removing the tongs of the bottleneck, pour some cold water on the heated spot. You will hear the click from the neck breaking. Slightly relieve the broken part and let it rest a moment under the water flow, so it cleans and removes some of the residues that may exist. Remove the cork, pulling the rest of it which is still on the bottle. See the movie and dare yourself. It is a unique moment in a ritual full of history.
- QuickviewThis is a rich and elegant Vintage Port with a fresh wild fruit and candy aromsa. A wine that will be more appreciated if consumed from 2018. Book some bottles, right now, and also offer them to someone very special. This is a good wine to enjoy in good company, at a party or in a special anniversary.$258,88
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewTaylor's Select Reserve features a vibrant red ruby colour. On the palate is vigorous and features aromas of fresh fruit. This Port wine was produced from young wine batches and then, aged in oak barrels, in which gets soften and strengthen. The afertaste is long, fresh and intense. Get this amazing Taylor's in miniature bottle of a 5 cl.$2,21
- QuickviewOffley Barão de Forrester 30 Years Tawny is an intense amber wine with greenish nuances. It reveals an intense aroma, of great complexity and richness, especially notes of caramel, coffee, nuts and soft notes of varnish and tobacco leaf, aromas acquired during the aging in oak wood over the years. On the palate, it is a very balanced, sophisticated and velvety Tawny, with a delicate structure. The finish is long and smooth. Awards and Distinctions: 92 points Wine Enthusiast Magazine; Gold Medal - Concours Mondial de Bruxelles 2014; Gold Medal - International Wine & Spirit Competition 2014; Bronze Medal - International Wine Challenge 2014; - Concours Mondial de Bruxelles Silver Medal 2013; - Silver Medal Decanter World Wine Awards 2013.$69,50
- QuickviewA Tawny Taylor's that combines perfectly aromas of ripe berries and delicate notes of dried fruit. A very soft and silky Wine on the palate. Enjoy it at the end of a meal with a good company. Serve it slightly cool to accentuate the taste and pleasure. A 1, 5Lt Edition in a wooden box that will not want to miss. A good suggestion for surprising someone very special.$64,56
- QuickviewThis is a Dow's Nirvana Port with single characteristics in the aroma, in which the predominance of rock rose and violet perfume is easily recognizable. On the other hand, soft tannins and a velvety texture make it peculiar. Dow's Nirvana was produced to blend with chocolate. Dow's winemakers teamed up with the "Flanders Taste Foundation", a Belgian group of experts on food pairing, to get a final blend of Port combining chocolate in the best possible way. This perfect symbiosis between winemakers and the "Flanders Taste Foundation" team also allowed to refine this Ports batch, intensifying it with floral notes and voluptuous tannins. From this union and unique features a Port Wine was created, which combines with most chocolates, especially with dark chocolate in which the cocoa percentage is between 60 to 75%.$18,35
- QuickviewCockburn's Fine White is an elegant Port Wine with a fresh, floral scent. It has a golden colour and is perfect to be served with ice and tonic water in a more relaxed environment.$11,22
- QuickviewAn harvest Port is a wine produced from batches of wine from a single harvest, which is aged in oak casks for about seven years, being then bottled. It has complex and deep aromas and flavours of marmalade fruits and spices that are typical from this Dalva 1999 Harvest.$47,70
- QuickviewDow's Tawny Ports are Port Wines recognized by its standard creamy, long and traditionally drier finish. Dow's 10 Year Old Tawny Port has a light brown colour, a candied fruit and caramel fragrance, laced with ripe fruit and nuts, such as walnuts. Dow's Tawny 10 Years Old Port is smooth, mature and well balanced. Award-winning wine with gold and silver medals.$21,54
- QuickviewKrohn Harvest 1982 is a Port with a brownish colour and complex aromas of nuts,especially walnuts and hazelnuts,providing a silky, velvety and long aftertaste. An Harvest Port has the particularity of being produced with wine batches from a single harvest, which are then aged for more than seven years before being bottled.$96,96
- QuickviewUm vinho de uma cor vermelha escura e profunda, no qual podemos através do olfato sentir os aromas picantes e dos frutos do bosque, passas e abóbora. Pode ser apreciado como aperitivo.$31,76
- QuickviewThis Croft Vintage Port produced in the year of 2009 will be remembered as a year of low incomes, owing in part to the small amount of fruit, but also to the effects of a very dry ripening season. The ripening season began with a relatively cold weather and so remained until July. However, August turned being a month with intense heat. An early vintage wine with a good and well balance acid.$104,56
- QuickviewThe Niepoort Vintage 2003 is a Port that has everything to be one of the best Niepoorts Vintage in decades. An elegant wine, mineral with delicate flavours, a striking elegance and long aftertaste. It is a Vintage that you will not want to miss. A bottle of 37.5 cl perfect to taste in a romantic dinner with your partner.$50,37
- QuickviewA Wine of traditional production, Graham's Tawny 10 years Old, is a tribute to the passion for this production method and to the artisans. To appreciator of quality and accuracy in every detail, this wine is a great expression of a Tawny Port. Graham's Tawny 10 Years comes from a fascinating selection of reserve wines, aged on a average of 10 years. With a reddish orange colour and complex bouquet of nuts such as walnuts combined with notes of honey and figs. Fruity, velvety and matured flavour, it allows a soft, long and perfect aftertaste. Enjoy this treasure in this 20 cl bottle so you can take this 10 years anywhere.$13,63
- QuickviewNiepoort 10 Years White is a unique and distinct Port Wine that was created having for basis some batches of Old White Port Wines. It has a classic style and a great aging, due to the fact of grapes maceration being more prolonged. Take home this lovely Port Wine bottle of 37,5 cl and enjoy it in a relaxing moment or share it with a special someone.$19,10
- QuickviewCroft Vintage Port 2007 This is a fragrant Port wine with black cherry and violet aromas and a touch of eucalyptus. A good choice for a Vintage to accompany the end of a meal. Ageing Period: Aged for 24 months in oak casks and then in bottles for several years.$140,22
- QuickviewThe Kopke Harvest 1981 reveals a vibrating dark amber color. On the nose you can feel all the delicacy of floral scents such as violets and roses, and a nutty fragrance perfectly combined with the freshness of citrus and slight notes of spices. On the palate it reveals has a concentrated wine, powerful and with an incredible depth, providing an amazing finish.$132,89
- QuickviewQuinta Roriz Vintage 2016 Port presents a deep and vibrant color. On the nose, reveals intense aromas of ripe red fruits, a very typical characteristic from the Vintage Ports of Quinta Roriz. On the mouth, stands out the strong presence of red fruits and among them delicious frutty notes of strawberry and raspberry. This Port Wine reveals an interesting mineral line, supported by dry tannins that provide an excellent balance and structure to the wine.$62,88
- QuickviewThe Sandeman Tawny Port features a vibrant amber color and intense aromas, such as notes of vanilla, nuts and raisins. On the palate, it is a light, elegant, fresh and fruity wine, especially to ripe red fruits. Its complexity and richness, acquired during the aging period in wood, provides a long, soft and sublime finish. Prizes and distinctions: Silver Medal - Mundus Vini Spring Tasting 2017.$11,65
- QuickviewQuinta do Vesuvio Vintage 1995 is a Port carefully selected by the winemaker Peter Symington. From a 385 oak barrels production from this farm, this Winemaker has only selected 52 oak barrels to bottle as Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port.$114,77
- QuickviewTaylor's Tawny 40 Years Port This is a quite old sublime wine, rich with intense coffee aromas, honeyed and a spicy touch. A Port for real connoisseurs who like to savour time!$212,26
Free shipping for EU countries.
- QuickviewA powerful Vintage Port. Only produced in years of exceptional quality, the Port Capela da Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage 2016 is just the third Port wine to be declared a Capela Vintage. A luxuriously perfumed and seductive bouquet stands out on the nose, especially floral aromas, like lavender, rockrose and eucalyptus. On the palate, it is a full-bodied Port, with a remarkable structure and simply exquisite. An inspiring wine that reflects the incomparable quality of the 2016 year.$159,44
- QuickviewCroft Port Reserve is a Port of Ruby style that belongs to the Reserve category. This is a Port where the quality is superior and the long experience of Port Wine production of Croft House is well present, in which the wine fully justifies its price. Croft Port Reserve features an elegant case, enriching its presentation.$16,80
- QuickviewQuinta do Noval Vintage 2003 Port Wine elegance and personality are some of the factors that contributed to this Ports distinction, which is considered one of the best in the world by the best 2010 sommelier, Luca Gardini. A Port Wine that resisted the phylloxera never having needed to suffer grafts. With full bodied tannins, that provide it good aging potential, transformed it into an exceptional quality wine.$173,00
- QuickviewUm vinho com uma fantástica complexidade de aromas a frutos vermelhos que acompanha muito bem queijos e chocolate, mas que também é delicioso bebido por si só.$82,21
- QuickviewDow's 20 Years Old Tawny Port is considered the ideal wine to accompany cigars. The Habano Festival is the largest event related to cigars and takes place annually in the last week of February in Cuba. The Habanos company, responsible for the festival's organization, selected Dow's 20 Years Old Tawny Port as one of the premium products to accompany cigars. Purple and vibrant, softens into a greenish-gold colour after 20 long years of ageing in oak casks. Ripe raisins aroma with caramel and honey notes, based on a balanced, rich and unique palate, showing dried fruit flavour.$36,95